Fire Sweeps Through Two Stamford Business Blocks
A general alarm fire in the business district of Stamford, Conn., recently swept through the Harris Building and damaged the Cook Building, both located on Atlantic Street. Damage was estimated at $250,000. Four stores and seventeen apartments, as well as several offices, were gutted by the flames.
Fourteen firemen were treated for smoke inhalation and one spectator was injured by falling glass. Volunteer firemen from suburban sections as well as the Sound Beach Volunteer Fire Company from Old Greenwich aided the Stamford firemen in combatting the blaze.
The fire was discovered by a passerby who saw smoke pouring from the rear of the Harris Building at 2.05 A. M. An alarm was sounded for the fire from a street box nearby. When Fire Chief Victor H. Veit arrived on the first alarm he immediately ordered a second alarm sounded, calling out all city apparatus and men off duty. At 6:20 A. M., four hours and twenty minutes later, a general alarm was turned in, suburban firemen responding.
Flames spread through the basement partitions and up through the structure, later breaking into the Cook Building. While firemen were battling this fire, an alarm was received for another fire in an apartment in Richmond Hill in the western section of the city.
Stores damaged in the $250,000 fire included Sarner’s, Grand Union, Roven’s and the Atlantic Wine and Liquor Store. Fire Chief Veit stated that the fire apparently started in the basement of the Grand Union Food Store and smouldered for several hours before it broke through to the upper floors. The Harris Building is owned by the B. T. Harris Corporation, a real estate holding company. The fire was one of the most disastrous to strike the city of Stamford in several years, according to Chief Veit.