Fireman Electrocuted at Two-Alarm Fire

Fireman Electrocuted at Two-Alarm Fire

While working at a two-alarm fire which broke out in a three-story brick building in the wholesale commission house district of Pittsburgh, Pa., a fireman came in contact with a rail which was making contact with a 2,500 volt line, and was instantly electrocuted.

A ladder was placed against a canopy which extended the full width of the building over the sidewalk. The canopv was attached to the building by a number of iron rods. Fireman Donnelly was first up the ladder with a hose line. As he reached the top of the ladder he grasped one of the iron supporting rods to pull himself from the ladder to the canopy. The rod was in contact with the 2,500-volt line. Without uttering a word, the fireman fell from the canopy to the street, which was twelve feet below, before firemen could break his fall. He was rushed to the Mercy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Fireman Donnelly was forty-two years old and was a widower. He is survived by his mother and three daughters.

No posts to display