First Water Tower in New York
On July 5, 1879, the following special order was published in New York:
Headquarters, Fire Department, City of New York, Office, Chief of Fire Department, July 1, 1879. Special Order No. 16. A portable water tower, for the purpose of delivering an effective stream of water in the upper floors of the buildings that cannot be reached with ladders, has been placed on trial in this department by the owner. It is now ready for use and located in the quarters of Engine Company No. 7, and will respond to all stations within the following boundary, viz.: South of Canal street, from N. R. to South 5th avenue to Prince street; to Bowery to Catherine street to E. R. on the first alarm, and will be called whenever required at any other locality, in the manner at present prescribed for other apparatus. Special call signal 16 and 2-1 strokes is hereby temporarily designated to be used for that purpose. By order of Eli Bates, Chief of Department; Wm. P. Allen, Clerk.