Flames Damage Jersey City Theatre
A fire which is supposed to have started in the film booth on the second balcony of the Bon Ton Theatre in the business section of Jersey City, N. J., was caused, it is believed, by a cigarette. Employees attempted to line in a stream from the standpipe, the fire getting away from them before the alarm was pulled with the result that the department, on its arrival, found flames coming from the front windoys and almost reaching across the street. Chief Roger Boyle had sixty firemen and nine engines and three truck companies, all the apparatus being of La France make, and fourteen engine streams were thrown, the fire being extinguished in five hours, and Chief Boyle succeeding in keeping the damage to the building, a four-story brick structure covering an area of 50 by 200 feet, valued at $20,000, down to $12,000, and $1,000 damage on contents,—chairs, carpets, scenery, etc. Chief Boyle and his firemen were hampered in their work by telegraph wires. One fireman was injured. The building, which was 30 years old, was equipped with standpipes with reel of hose attached. Chief Boyle had 7,000 feet of cotton lined hose in use and used a water tower.