Fort Scott Waterworks System.
The waterworks system at Fort Scott, Kan., was installed in 1882 and became city property in July, 1905. The source of supply is the Marmaton river; there are two masonry dams impounding about 120,000 gal.; and the pumping station is located at the west end of Fifth street, on the river bank at the lower dam. The water is pumped to the settling-basins and pressuretowers on Tower Hill, whence it is distributed through 27 miles of mains to the consumers. The pumphouse equipment consists of three 85-horsepower boilers, two Worthington compound-duplex pumps of 1,250,000 capacity, a small directconnected electric light machine, and apparatus for injecting coagulant into the discharge pipe. The daily consumption is about 1,250,000 gal. There are 875 metered services and 775 flat rates. Fire protection is furnished by 190 hydrants, averaging a little more than two blocks apart throughout the water district. The domestic pressure in the heart of the city is 30 lb.; the lire pressure is 80.