Forty-Seven Years a Fireman.
Chief George W. Horton, of the Baltimore, Md., fire department, who joined as a call man, has risen to his present position after 47 years of continuous service. He became a fireman on March 2, 1862. When he was appointed the paid department had been organised for nearly 4 years and consisted of seven engine companies and two hook and ladder truck companies, with a total of 108 men. At the present time there are 33 engine companies, and 16 truck companies in active service, with a total of 729 uniformed men. An additional truck company will go into service at Calvert and Read streets as soon as the building can be erected, and on July 1 next four additional engine companies will go into service. The department started with three engine companies and one hook and ladder truck company. Chief Horton, who has risen to be head of the department by open merit, became chief on June 5, 1901. Of the eight chief engineers of the department, Charles T. Holloway was the first. His successors in the order given were the following: J. L. Steuart, J. W. Watkins, Henry Spilman, J. M. Hcnnick, J. W. Leddon, William C. McAfee, and George W. Horton. Chief Horton is first vice-president of the International Association of Fire Engineers.