Foxborough (Mass.) Water-Works.
The accompanying illustration shows the plan of the waterworks system of Foxborough, Mass., recently constructed by Frank L. Fuller, C. E., Boston. The following particulars of the works are taken from his report to the commissioners :
Surveys were begun in December, 1889, for the purpose of ascertaining the best source of supply, the proper location of a pumping station and stand-pipe, the length and size of pipe required, number of hydrants required and their location. Accurate levels were also taken on every street to determine what the water pressure would be, in order that the weights of the cast-iron pipes might be properly proportioned to withstand the strain to which they would be subjected.
During the early part of January, 1890, five test wells were driven in the neighborhood of the “ Fales spring,” so called, which is located southeast of the Neponset reservoir, and about 900 feet north of Mechanic street. These wells, covering a considerable area, were driven to a depth of about thirty feet. Samples of the material through which these wells passed were taken at intervals of four or five feet and preserved in glass bottles for future examination and comparison. In all cases this material proved to be coarse, waterbearing gravel, of excellent quality to furnish an abundant supply of pure water.
This locality was finally adopted as a source of supply, and has fully justified the expectations formed at ‘he time the tests were made. Copies of the analyses of the water by the Massachusetts State Board of Health, given in this report, show the water to be of exceptional purity. It is also very soft for a ground water, being even softer than Sudbury river water supplied to the city of Boston.
The plan proposed called for 6.44 miles of pipe from 12 to 4 inches diameter; stand-pipe, 22 feet in diameter and 100 feet high, having its top at an elevation of 423 feet above sea level. Subsequent conditions changed the height of the standpipe to 120 feet high, making the top of the elevation 427 feet. There were five bids for pipe, the contract being awarded to the McNeal Pipe aud Foundry Company of Burlington, N. J., and for laying same to Nahum Perry, Attleborough, Mass. The contract for driven wells was let to W. D. Andrews & Brother, Brooklyn, N. V., for twenty-four two-inch wells at a cost of $5000. The Cunningham Iron Works Company of Boston contracted for the stand-pipe at $6170 ; the gates and hydrants were awarded to I.udlow Valve Company, Troy, N. V.; the pumping engine to George F. Blake Manufacturing Company, Boston. For the construction of the pumping station there were seven bidders, the lowest being that of William O’Connell, Canton, $4450. The report of Mr. Fuller is very complete, and shows the results of the various tests of machinery, wells and stand-pipe, all of which proved very satisfactory.