Friendship Fire Association Elects Officers

Friendship Fire Association Elects Officers

The annual election meeting of the Friendship Fire Association was recently held at the Association’s Headquarters, Engine Company Number One, 1643 K Street, N. W. Dr. Edward R. Gookin, prominent Washington eye specialist, was reelected Chief for the third consecutive year. Other officers included, Lester Steinem, Corporation Counselor, Deputy Chief; Roy Wiseman, Chief Secretary; Elmer Schloeder, Chief Historian and Chief Treasurer, and Dr. William D. Claudy, Chief Publicist.

Friendship Fire Association is an organization of professional men whose interest in fires and fire fighting have led them to further the purposes of the D. C. Fire department in every possible way. They have recently completed a map project for the Transfer Officer of the District of Columbia Fire Department, which enables him to spot the movements of companies by means of electrically controlled signals.

Friendship Fire Association Elects Officers

0

Friendship Fire Association Elects Officers

With its members serving as auxiliary firemen in regular companies all over the city, a thing undreamed of when the organization was formed, Friendship Fire Association of Washington. D. C.. held a rousing wartime meeting which concluded with an election of officers as follows:

Dr. Edward R. Gookin, Chief; Lester F. Steinem, Assistant Chief; Roy A. Wiseman, Chief Secretary; Ben C. Pope, Chief Treasurer, and J. T. Kennedy, Chief Commissar,

Its members for years, friends and benefactors of the Washington Fire Department, the Friendship Fire Association is named after George Washington’s famous volunteer fire company at Alexandria. Although organized purely for social purposes, the members joined the Auxiliary Fire Service in a body the day after Pearl Harbor. Most of them are assigned to Engine Co. No. 1 at 17th and K Streets, and meetings are held each Wednesday night in a part of the historic old firehouse known as “Buff’s Corner”, which includes a library which Dr. Gookin presented to the regular firemen in return for courtesies which they extended to those in the wartime auxiliary service.