From Our Picture Gallery
Chic has decided to open a gallery of Cincinnati’s most prominent citizens, to include the faces of those who by rare merit, favor or success have truly earned distinction. As preeminently entitled to the place of honor, Chic inaugurates the series by unveiling the features of Willis P. Tharp, the energetic and talented superintendent of water-works. Probably more than any other man for some months past he has been constantly in the public eye. The struggle he had with the broken down water works plant, and the signal success he won in bringing order out of chaos, is now a familiar story. Under his able direction and by his energetic ability the city was safely carried through one of the most dangerous crisis that ever threatened its welfare and prosperity. Mr. Tharp was born forty-three years ago in the Eist End, Cincinnati. His father was long a prominent steamboat builder of Fulton, the family being among the pioneer river craftsmen, the dry docks and marine yards descending from one to another. Taking up the study of civil engineering, he applied himself to its several branches. After the Chicago fire he spent some time in that city watching the rebuilding. Mr. Tharp, until he took charge of the water-works, was best known professionally as having had charge of the erection of the Grand Central depot and the construction of the Chesapeake and Ohio bridge.
For over twenty years Mr. Tharp has actively followed his profession, and much of his work cat. be seen in Cincinnati. He was the engineer in charge of the construction of the Little Miami depot and adjacent improvements. Recently Mr. Tharp has been connected with the Kentucky Central road, having charge of the construction of the big shops back of Covington. His experience has familiarized him with every branch of engineering.
R. M. CLAYTON.
The city engineer of the Atlanta (Ga.) water-works was born in North Carolina in 1845, and joined the Confederate army in 1861 and served until the close of the war. He began engineering work on the East Tennessee railroad in 1866, and engaged continuously in that class of work until 1879, at which time he was elected city engineer of Atlanta, where he lias been located since and with the exception of the two years from 1883 to 1885, has held that office continuously. He was re-elected for the present term in July, 1893. As city engineer he has in conjunction with V. Y. Richards, superintendent of water-works, had charge of the construction of the new water-works, which have just been opened.
J. NKLSON Tunas.
Mr. Tubbs began active engineering work as rodman on the enlargment of the Erie canal in 1854, and was connected with the canals in various capacities until 1870, and was engineer and superintendent of the New York State Elmira Reformatory in 1891-2. He was chief engineer of the Rochester (N. Y.) water-works, designing and constructing same and remaining in charge until 1890, but during that period did considerable work as designing and consulting engineer. Since 1890 has done purely consulting and expert work. He designed the works for Genesee, N. Y., Medina, N. Y., Dryden, N. Y., Mt. Morris, N. Y., and other places, and has done expert work in many places in New York and other States. He has been engaged for the past two years as expert for city of Syracuse, N. Y., in the proceedings for condemnation of the works of the Syracuse Water Company; also of the water powers on the Skaneateles lake outlet, and in designing a high and low set vice distribution for that city in connection with its new water supply and as general adviser in relation thereto.
A. A. TUCKER.
Mr. Tucker has been connected with the water company of Memphis, Tenn., since 1882 in different capacities. About three years ago the superintendent resigned his position, since which time Mr. Tucker has been discharging the duties of that office. He became a member of the American Waterworks Association in New York, in May, 1892.
B. M. ESPY.
The secretary and treasurer of the Wilkesbarre Water Company, Barnet M. Espy, was born in Nanticoke, Fa., in 1846. His family were among the earliest settlers of the State and have always lived in Luzerne county. He is a lawyer by profession and was admitted to the bar in 1873. He is very much respected in the community in which he resides and occupies a high social position. He practices law continuously and is very successful.
J. T. FANNING.
Colonel J. T. Fanning of Minneapolis is one of the best known engineers in America, having been engaged on nearly all the most important engineering works of the last thirty years. In 1881 he was engaged by an association of New York and Brooklyn citizens to examine and report upon the Adirondack watershed of the Upper Hudson river, as a source of water supply for these cities and for all the cities of the Hudson valley. The project contemplated the expenditure of $60,000,000, an aquednet 225 miles long, and with a capacity to convey from above Glens Falls 1,000,000,000 gallons of water daily to the cities of the Hudson valley. In 1883 the New England Agricultural Society awarded Colonel Fanning its highest prize for architectural and engineering designs. In 1885 he was selected to report on the proposed development of the water power of St. Anthony’s Falls. He built the new dams of the St. Anthony’s Falls Water Company. He has been engaged as consulting engineer on many large projects throughout the great Northwest and several of them were built under his immediate supervision. He has also written several papers and books on hydraulic and water supply engineering. He is an ex-president of the American Water-works Association and is now chairman of the committee on general arrangements.