GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTING.
—It is expected that the electric light plant at Princeton, Ind., will be in operation next week.
—The Massachusetts Fuel Gas Company of Chelsea, Mass., has been formed, with a capital of $100,000. William Butterfield is president and John H. Roberts, treasurer.
—A Chicago paper is authority for the statement that the company which, some time since, proposed to pipe gas from the Indiana field to Chicago, but was refused a franchise, has bought a tract of 3000 acres of land near Kokomo, Ind., and will establish there a large manufacturing centre, with natural gas for cheap fuel.
—The committee on railroads of the Providence (R. I.) city council reported on Monday in favor of allowing the Union Railroad Company to use the single-trolley electric system.
—The Lidgerwood Park electric railway at Spokane Falls, Wash., has been opened for travel.
—The electric lighting of Berlin, Germany, has programed very much during the past few years. In March, 1888, there were 189 private installations, as well as a number of central stations. In 1889 these private plants had increased to 237, of which seventy-nine were run by gas, the rest being driven by steam. The arc lamps used in public buildings numbered 826 in 1889, and in private establishments 2976. The incandescent lamps in use numbered 62,816.
—The Citizens’ Electric Light Company of Baton Rouge, La., has, it is reported, purchased the Baton Rouge electric light plant for $30,000.
—A Chicago dispatch of October 29 says; “Another phase of the Chicago Gas Trust litigation was decided by Judge McConnell of the Circuit Court this morning. It was on the demurrer of the people to the pleas of the Gas Trust. Judge McConnell holds, in brief, that the Gas Trust has no right to buy or hold the stocks of any other gas companies which had joined to form it. It is understood that a judgment of ouster will be issued in a few days.”
—The natural gas meter at the power-house of the Citizens Traction Company, at Thirty-fourth street and Penn avenue, Pittsburgh, has the largest registering capacity of any in that city. It is four feet in height and six feet in diameter, being shaped like a covered bowl. The seven dials register respectively 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000, 10,000,000, 100,000,000 and 1,000,000,000. There are eight boilers in the station, of which, however, but four are run at a time, and it is estimated that with these four boilers the average daily consumption of gas is about 316,000 feet.
—The proprietor and clerk of the Commercial Hotel at Racine, Wis., are now laid up for repairs, owing to having searched with a lighted lantern for a leak in a gas pipe.
—The Rapid Transit Company of Newark, N. J., has begun running its cars on Central avenue.
—Summit, N. J., will be lighted by electricity by the Westinghouse Company at $17.75 each for 35-candle power lamps.
—Oakland, Cal., has granted a franchise for the construction of an electric railroad from that city to San Lorenzo, San Leandro and Hayward.
—The Philadelphia Gas Company has given notice that it will cease supplying puddling furnaces in Pittsburgh and vicinity with gas for fuel. The company will go into the illuminating gas business.
—The power station of the Lynn (Mass.) Electric Lighting Company was wrecked early on Sunday morning by the bursting of the fly-wheel of a large Corliss engine. No one was hurt.
—The Hawkeye Electric Manufacturing Company of Davenport, Ia., is putting up a 1000 incandescent light plant at Stewart, Ia.
—Burlington, Ia., is to have an electric railroad.
—At Keokuk. Ia., a new electric light company has been organized and will light the city. Charles S. Smith will be secretary and general manager.
—The Chartiers Valley Light and Power Company of Chartiers, Pa., has been organized by S. A. Duncan of Pittsburgh, W. M. Galbraith of Chartiers and others. The company proposes to establish an electric light plant at Chartiers, and construct a street railway from Mansfield to Pittsburgh.
—An electric railway will be built from Reading, Pa., to Mohnsville, five miles distant.
—The Oswego Gas Light Company of Osw ego, N. Y., has purchased of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company an electric light plant consisting of a 750 alternating current, incandescent dynamo and a sixty-light are dynamo, with all the necessary apparatus. The plant is to be operated by water-power.
—The Edison Electric Light Company of Mount Carmel, Pa., will light the streets of the borough with incandescent lights.
—An ordinance has been introduced in the city council of St. Louis, Mo., to extend the city’s street lighting contract with the Citizens’ Electric Light Company from three to ten years on condition that all lamps shall be burned every night in the year from dusk to daybreak without extra charge.
—The property of the old Willimantic (Conn.) Gas Company w ill be sold to the new Citizens’ Gas Company.
—The Bristol (R. I.) Electric Light Company will add to its plant a new 130 h. p. engine and a new dynamo of a capacity of 1300 incandescent lights of 16 c. p.