General Alarm Fire Damages Sign Plant

General Alarm Fire Damages Sign Plant

Machinery and paint used for making and repairing road signs was destroyed late in December when a $100,000 general alarm fire severely damaged the New York State department of public works plant in Hamburg, N.Y.

Russell L. Draudt, Fire Chief of Hamburg, said the blaze was the most spectacular in the village in at least 10 years.

The fire destroyed the rear two-thirds of the 80 by 200 foot building, a onestory frame plant.

Charles R. Waters, state district engineer, said the blaze apparently started near the roof where an electrical heater unit was located. Flames destroyed expensive machinery which sheared, pressed and sandblasted highway signs. Equipment lost included silk screens, paint and “scotch light” used for the signs. A station wagon was also destroyed.

The fire was discovered at 6:50 p.m. and reached its height at 8 o’clock when exploding paint drums hurled 200-foot high flames over the structure. The fire was under control by 10:30.

The building was to have been replaced soon by a larger two-story fireproof plant on property adjacent to the yard.

No posts to display