GLENN FIRE AT LATONIA.

GLENN FIRE AT LATONIA.

At Latonia, Ky., the costly home of Dudley Glenn was destroyed by fire, owing to something being wrong with the heating apparatus in a defective flue. The flames were first seen coming out of the roof and the volinteer fire department was summoned. After laying a line of hose, the fireplug ceased work, as the stem of the plug had been deranged. Then they laid another line on Glenn avenue. There the pressure was no greater. The fire soon spread to the entire house, and by the time Chief George Lytle and the chemical crew of fire company I, of Covington, arrived on the scene the residence was one mass of flames. Lytle found the defect in the pressure, and soon had a fairly good stream of water playing. There are no other houses in close proximity; otherwise they would have been destroyed. The house was a two-story frame of thirteen rooms. But few of the household effects were saved. The loss to the house and furniture is estimated at $6,000, which is partly insured for about $3,700. The water mains and pipes came in for considerable criticism, it being alleged they are entirely too small. The citizens will request the incoming council to give them a paid fire department, even if the tax rate is increased.

No posts to display