Historic Engine Returned to Plymouth
A banquet was held in the Central Fire Station, Plymouth, Mass., on February 22 to celebrate the return to the town of a valued and historic trophy, namely the old hand fire engine “Torrent.”
This was the first suction engine owned by Plymouth and was built in 1825 by Ephria Thayer, of Boston. At a town meeting on May 17, 1828, it was voted that William Spooner, Jacob Covington, and Daniel Jackson serve on a committee to purchase a new fire engine for the town and as a result the “Torrent” was bought and became No. 4. This ancient engine was later stored away and more or less forgotten, it became dilapidated and many parts were missing. In 1926 what remained of the engine was purchased by Henry Ford and taken to Dearborn to be placed on display Mr. Ford completely restored this old equipment and through the pet sonal efforts of Fire Commissioner Henry Walton, Plymouth, he generously returned the “Torrent” to the town as a gift
The speakers at the banquet were Commissioner Walton and Chief Albert Hiller, of the Plymouth Fire Department: Selectmen James A. White and Fred A. Jenks: Dr. Franc * E. Donoglnte. Fire Commissioner Edward F. McLaughlin and Supt. E. E. W illiamson, of the Maintenance Division of the Boston Fire Department; Chief Selden R, Allen, of Brookline: Charles “Sandy” Chapman, of the tiameweil Company; Chief Drew, of Kingston, and Chief Merry, of Duxbury,
Elmira, N. Y., has abandoned Station No. 2 on West Water Street, and the men and equipment have been moved to the headquarters station.