History of the Youngstown Fire Dept.
“The Youngstown Fire Department, Past aud Present,” is the title of a 175-page pamphlet just issued by the Youngstown, O., fire department. It was prepared by W. H. Bennett, clerk of the department, and contains many illustrations and portraits of all the members of the present force from Chief Joseph Wallace down. It is a complete outline history of the old volunteer department and of the present paid department from the time it was organized to the present time. All the stations and apparatus at the present time are finely illustrated.
The department was established in 1868, principally through the efforts of Ohio’s famous war Governor, Daniel Tod, and its first company was named Governor Tod in his honor. The paid department was established May 16. 1891. Its chiefs have been: W. H. Moore. 1891-1901; W. H. Loller. 1901-1913, and Joseph Wallace, 1913. It has eleven stations and all its apparatus is motorized.