Horrible Death of Chief Billings

Horrible Death of Chief Billings

While Chief C. A. Billings of the Ashburnham, Mass., fire department, was operating on a brush fire near South Ashburnham, and was suffering from intense thirst, he picked up a jug which he supposed contained water, but in reality was filled with sulphuric acid used for charging the chemical fire extinguishers. After drinking the stuff Chief Billings fell unconscious and was taken to the Gardner Hospital, where it was found that his throat had been so badly burned that he was unable to take any nourishment. As a result he slowly starved to death. The deceased chief was not only head of the local fire department but was also a forest fire warden and constable. He was in his 63d year.

No posts to display