Hotel Building Damaged in Los Angeles
The Wilson Building, including the Occidental Hotel and 5, 10 and 15 cent store, located in the center of the shopping district of Los Angeles, Cal., was recently damaged by fire. The building was an old three-story structure occupying a space 400 feet by a block long. It was constructed of brick outside walls and board or lath and plaster partition walls. The fire started in the basement from a gasoline explosion and was discovered in the early morning by a Japanese who was seriously burned. The only private fire protection on the property was a house hose. Chief A. J. Eley found the fire spreading rapidly all through the walls and floors. There were no fire breaks in walls or floors and it was necessary to chop out the fire all over the building. Thirty engine streams were on the fire. Eleven steamers and three motor pumping engines, three aerial and two city service trucks, one extra hose company and a water tewer and a squad wagon were in service. The motor pumping engines consisted of two Gorham’s and one AmericanLa France and rendered very good service. Double four-inch hydrants with a pressure of 60 pounds were available. Thirteen thousand five hundred feet of hose were in use and three lengths burst during the fire. Special fire tools such as Turret pipes, deluge sets and smoke helmets were all used during the fire. Outside of hotel furnishings the contents consisted of supplies for the 5, 10 and 15 cent stores. The value of the property was $78,200 and the loss was $25,000. The loss on contents was $53,200.