Housefurnishing: Store Burned in Chicago

Housefurnishing: Store Burned in Chicago

A fire that did between $30,000 and $40,000 damage out of a possible $130,000, took place in the place of business of Samuel Lyone & Co. on the west side of Chicago, was one that gave Battalion Chief M. S. Kerwin considerable trouble because it was an old fashioned brick and wood building of the style through which a fire travels very fast, notwithstanding which, the department confined it practically to the third floor, as the fourth floor, where it was stopped, was very slightly damaged. The building, which occupied a space of 50 by 150 feet was four stories and 20 years old. Internally it had no partition walls, anti was not equipped with sprinklers or any means of saving the lives of its 25 employes in the way of fire escapes. In private attempts at putting out a fire, there were some chemical extinguishers on the premises. The fire, which was of unknown origin, started on the third floor at 9:40 p. m., and. was discovered by the watchman. After burning for two hours, it was stopped at the fourth floor. The watchman turned in a box alarm, and when the department arrived it was burning briskly on the third floor, to which the firemen at first had not access. Otherwise they met with no hindrance. There were called out the following pieces of apparatus: Engines, six—Metropolitan, Continental and Ahrens, two of each: trucks, three. At this spot there is a good supply of double 4inch hydrants, distant 300 feet from each other, the pressure of which is 30 pounds. No hydrant streams were thrown, and six engine streams formed the largest number thrown at one time. The nozzles used were 1 1/4-inch, and no special tools were employed. The width of the street at that point is 55 feet, and along it runs a 0-inch main. Three thousand five hundred feet of cotton, rubber-lined hose were laid, of which none burst during the fire. The water system (direct pumping) was amply sufficient for all purposes. The firm carried $77,000 insurance, and Chief Kerwin estimates the damage as possibly $6,000 on the building (insured for $60,000), and over $25,000 on the house furnishings that formed the contents.

CHIEF C. A. NILES, BURLINGTON, VT.TWO VIEWS OF BIG FIRE AT BURLINGTON, VT. X SHOWS CHIEF NILES DIRECTING WETTING DOWN OPERATIONS.

No posts to display