How the Fire Department of Roanoke is Equipped

How the Fire Department of Roanoke is Equipped

There are six fire stations in Roanoke, Va., equipped wholly with motor apparatus, except for some steamers in the reserve. The alarm system has 83 boxes. Station No. 1 has a 750-gallon Seagrave pumper, an 85-foot aerial ladder truck and a 55-foot water tower, also a Hudson chief’s car for Chief C. C. Meador. At the station is also held in reserve a first size Continental engine, a second size LaFrance engine and a Seagrave combination. Both of the steamers are equipped with draw bars for hauling them to fires. At station No. 2 there is a 750gallon Seagrave pumper; at Station 3, a 750-gallon Seagrave pumper and a 75-foot aerial truck; at Station 4, a 750-gallon Seagrave pumper; at Station 5, a Seagrave combination and the same at Station 6. A speed limit of 20 miles an hour is established. Jones-Clay couplings are used exclusively. The department was volunteer until 1903, with one engine and two combination companies. It now consists of 53 paid men, whose ages range from 21 to years and all are said to be about six feet in height. A striking feature of the department is the Sunday School that the men have instituted which is attended every Sunday. The salaries are to be increased ten per cent, at an early date, as recommended by Chief Meador. At present the first year men receive $1,100; second year, $1,250; third year, $1,317; captains, $1,455; Chief, $1,872.

No posts to display