Some Suggestions He Can Make to Householders in His Rounds — He Can Help in Maintaining Fire Prevention

Rockford, Ill.

IN HIS ROUNDS the fire inspector will often meet with many types of fire hazards in residences. The following are some suggestions that offer information which he can spread among householders that will assist in keeping down the fire loss:

The home owner should keep in mind the fire hazards and risks which might tend to destroy all that he has labored to accomplish.

It means the furnace or boiler must be in first class working condition. See that flue stops and chimney bricks are not loose. Spot and sediments deposits at the base of the chimney can be removed through the clean-out. Clean the chimney at different times, as a large deposit of carbon not only is detrimental to the proper working of the furnace, but is an excellent conductor of lightning.

Discontinue the piling of ashes against wooden partitions or in wooden containers. It would be well to have the roof covered with fire resisting material such as roll roofing, slate or tile. Try and stop the habit of piling paper, rags, and refuse in corners, closets, attic and basement.

The use of safety matches should be encouraged throughout the house. Looking in clothes closets with lighted matches is dangerous, and a reliable flash light should be substituted. Lighted cigars and cigarettes should never be placed on table tops, chair-arms, etc., but should be placed in the proper receptacles.

Radio antennaes must have a good lightning arrester or throw-off switch, and a fuse block should be inserted between the socket plug and unit. Never leave the radio charger on when no one is home, excepting the better eliminators. All electric contrivances must be in good operating order, without exposed or loose wires. Flatirons should be disconnected when left for any length of time. It is a dangerous practice to leave clothes to dry on a steam radiator.

The gas stove is very dangerous, because of the possibility of a leak, or of leaving a jet open. For this reason the habit formed of trying each burner before retiring is one to cultivate.

Keep one. or more windows open at the top or bottom at night in your bedroom because of the danger of the furnace or boiler throwing off carbon monoxide gas: of the icebox throwing off sulphur dioxide or bucane, or of the gas log throwing off carbon dioxide.

Arrange the bedrooms, if possible so that vou may have o ready exit to front and rear stairways and porches. Do not leave small children for anv length of time while a cook stove, coal range, or gas stove is in operation.

Remember never to pour gasoline, kerosene, or any inflammable on a fire already started. The use of naptha and various cleaners about the house should stop. Send the clothes to a good cleaner and let him take the chance of having an explosion.

Oily mops and rags should be kept in metal containers away from all heat and sunshine. A good fire extinguisher should be kept in every home in a convenient place.

Hillsdale, Mich., Wants Pumper—Hillsdale. Mich., is working for the purchase of a new pumper.

Jackson. Mich., Buys Pumper—Jackson. Mich., has ordered a 1.000-gallon Mack Pumper for $23,300.

Hallam. Pa., to Erect Fire House—Contracts have been awarded for the construction of a new fire station in Hallam, Pa., to cost $12,000.

Youngstown to Have Junior Department—Youngstown. Ohio, is to have a junior fire department. About five thousand youngsters attended a meeting at which the plan was presented. It is being sponsored by Chief Callan and a local newspaper.

Apparatus Salesman Dies at Convention—E. E. Perry, representative of the American-LaFrance & Foamite Corp., died while attending the convention of the Montana State Firemen’s Association convention in Missoula. He died in his hotel room while getting ready to leave for hospital treatment. He was forty years old and is survived by his mother and his widow.

Previous articleChanges in Fire Apparatus Design

No posts to display