HYMENEAL.

HYMENEAL.

Capt. Healy, chief of the Kalamazoo, Mich., fire department, stole a march on his friends on the night of November 24, and was married in the Episcopal Church of St. Luke, Kalamazoo, to Miss Marie Keyser, the Rev. R. R. Claibourne performing the ceremony. The bride is a young lady of pleasing address, who has been in the employ of Gilmore Bros., of Kalamazoo, a year and a half, during which time she has won many friends. To her and the bridegroom the whole community wish all joy.

Chief Ilealy, who has been twenty-four years in the fire department, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., and became a member of the volunteer fire department in 1870, holding various office’s in Eureka hose company. He was appointed driver on full pay in 1874. In 1877 when the paid department was inaugurated, Mr. Ilealy was one of the first men to be chosen, and was assigned to the captaincy of hose company No. 1. which position ho filled, also acting as assistant chief until 1882. He was elected to the head of the department in 1884. The department at that time consisted of two hose companies and a hook and ladder company—composed partly of paid men and partly of volunteers. The department has steadily increased,until now it comprises 1 steamer, 1 chemical engine, 2 fourwheeled hose carriages and 2 hook and ladder trucks, with a quota of 17 full-paid men and 20 part-paid men and and 11 horses. The fire alarm telegraph, consisting of 82 alarm boxes, has been put in under Chief Healy’s personal supervision and is one of the most perfect in the state.

Kalamazoo’s original fire department was an old handengine affair up to the time that the Holly system was put in in 1869, when it was reorganized and replaced by volunteer hose companies, Thos. O’Neill being made chief, continuing in office until 1880, when he was succeeded by Hugh Beggs, who served two years. He in turn wassucceeued by Captain Ilealy.

No posts to display