I.A.F.C. DIRECTORS MEET: CONFERENCE PLANS ARRANCED
To be Held at Cleveland, Ohio, July 22-26; Hotel Statler Selected as Headquarters
THE annual meeting of the board of directors of the International Association of Fire Chiefs was held at the Hotel Pennsylvania, New York City, on January 22-24. During the three-day session, the Board reviewed plans for the annual conference, set up the budget for the current year, and took other action with an aim to strengthening the Association and increasing its service to members.
Dates for this year’s conference were set at July 22-26, this being the only week during which the civic auditorium would be available and in which sufficient hotel rooms would be available. Meetings and exhibits will be staged in the auditorium; the Statler will be hotel headquarters.
Some interesting data on the present state of the Association were brought out during the meeting: although the conference of last year was cancelled, due to travel revenues, the year finished up with a profit of $24.94. The total assets of the Association as of December 31 were $24,042.89. During the year over 2,000 new members were added, making the present membership of the Association the greatest enjoyed since 1934.
Those present at the meeting included the following: Chief Samuel J. Pope, President, Boston, Mass.; Chief Charles A. Delaney, Lakewood, Ohio, First Vice-President; Chief Frank C. McAuliffe, Salvage Patrols, Chicago, Ill., Second Vice-President; Chief Daniel B. Tierney, Arlington, Mass., SecretaryTreasurer; Jay W. Stevens, San Francisco, Cal., Executive Secretary; Chief Selden R. Allen, Brookline, Mass., Director New England Association; Chief G. R. McAlpine, Oklahoma City, Okla., Secretary of the Southwestern Association and acting Director; Chief Ray Tiller, Waterloo, Ia., Director, Missouri Valley Association; Assistant Chief Frank Deen, Lancaster, Pa., Director, Eastern Association; Chief A. J. Baker, Lewistown, Mont., Past President; Former Chief Peter Steinkellner, Milwaukee, Wis., Director, Great Lakes Association; Chief J. T. Keegan, Salvage Patrols, Newark, N. J., Chairman of the Exhibit Committee; Former Chief Charles E. Clark, Wayne, Pa., Secretary, Eastern Association; I. H. Case, Publicity Director, and Fred Shepperd, Engineer-Manager.
Also, Deputy Chief Harold Burke, N. Y. Fire Department, formerly Captain U. S. N. R. in charge of the Navy Fire Fighting Schools; George J. Richardson, Secretary-Treasurer, International Association of Fire Fighters, Washington, D. C.; George J. Kuss, Woodhouse Manufacturing Company, New York, N. Y.; Joseph Green, Eureka Fire Hose Division, U. S. Rubber Company, New York City; Hugh Walker, American-LaFrance-Foamite Corporation, Elmira, N. Y.; Roi B. Woolley, Assistant Editor, FIRE ENGINEERING; Clarence Meek, Mack Manufacturing Company. New York City; Harry Cavanagh, American District Telegraph Company, New York City; Former Chief George Mitchell, Fast Orange, N. J., Treasurer, Eastern Association; Chief Charles A. McGinley, East Orange, N, J.; Deputy Chiefs J. J. T. Waldron and William Taubert, Acting Chief Frank Murphy, and Fire Commissioner Frank J. Quale, Jr., New York Fire Department.
Atlantic City Fire Costly
The Bayles Drug Store, said to be the largest in Atlantic City, and the adjoining Warner Hotel were swept by fire early on the morning of January 10 with reported loss of over $200,000.
The blaze, discovered at 8:40 A.M. while pharmacists and clerks were busy with early morning trade, made rapid headway through the old store building at Michigan and Atlantic avenues, communicating to the adjoining three-story stone and wood Warner Hotel at 2 S. Michigan avenue, which was completely gutted.
Nine occupants of apartments in the three story Bayless Building, including the wife of one of the owners and her two small children, were forced to flee into the biting weather, with the thermometer registering 17 degrees.
The red brick structure housing the Bayless Drug Store was one of the first brick structures erected on Atlantic avenue for business purposes. In 1888 it was known as Cuskaden’s Drug Store, after its founder. At the time of the fire, besides the drug store a luncheonette, a yarn shop, hotel equipment store and the Stadler Restaurant following along Atlantie avenue suffered some damage or were threatened.
The fire, for which three alarms were sounded, calling out eight engine and four ladder companies practically the city’s entire fire force—was fought largely from the outside of the building, owing to the speed with which the structure became involved by the flames. Chief Rex Farley directed operations. Ice encrusted firemen used two aerial trucks as water towers and several deck pipes and deluge sets. It is reported that this was the first three-alarm fire at the resort since February 26, 1945.
While Chief barley’s forces struggled with the blaze, apparatus from suburban Yentnor, Margate and Pleasantvillc moved into the city’s empty fire stations to “cover-up.” The Fire Bureau reports that while the Bayless fire was at its height, another alarm was received and transmitted for a dwelling fire. The locating and covering companies were in action at this fire twenty-five minutes.
Although the origin of the Bayless fire has not been determined by Chief Farley, Commissioner of Public Safety Cuthbert or insurance adjusters, who combed the ruins, following the fire, it was believed to have originated in the beater room of the drug store.