Improvements at Akron
The National Board of Fire Underwriters in a recent issued supplementary report on the Akron, O., fire department, say: Since the report of 1912 the entire fire department has become motorized; Hose Company 3 has been changed to an engine company; three 700-gallon automobile combination pump, chemical and hose wagons have been provided to replace smaller engines; funds have been provided for a new fireproof headquarters building to be erected on Broadway, south of Market street, with space for two engine companies and a ladder truck. The total active force is now 82, an increase of 4 in two years. For 1915 the chief recommends an additional engine house at Chestnut and High streets, a new statioq at Fontage path and Grand avenue, and an automobile combination hose wagon and an increase of 8 men; the moving of Stations 4 and 6 further west on Wooster avenue and Thornton street is bein’ considered, as is also a new automobile ladder truck for the latter location. With an additional engine company established in the new headquarters, the use of 3-inch hose by at least two of the downtown companies, and the erection of a drill tower, all of which are contemplated for next year, the recommendations made in the 1912 report will have been very largely complied with.