Improvements at Albany
During the past year the fire protection at Albany, N. Y., has been strengthened by the addition of a 65-foot automatic aerial hook and ladder truck to the apparatus and an automobile has been purchased for the use of the chief of the department. Truck house No. 4 has also been placed in commission and steamer house No. 6 has been rebuilt. The water department also has not been idle. During 1912 4.45 miles of main have been laid, of which 2.18 miles replaced old main that had been abandoned. The cost of operating and keeping up the department was greater by $44,216.32 than in 1911, owing to the fact that much new main had to be laid in preparation for new pavements. The daily consumption of water in the city was 242 gallons per capita—much greater than that of most other cities of the size of Albany in the United States.