Improvements in Milford, Conn.
(From Our Regular Correspondent)
According to a report of Chief Lewis F. Stowe, of the Milford, Conn., fire department, recently submitted to the Board of Fire Commissioners of that place, Milford’s fire loss for the last six months, from October 1, 1919, to April 1, 1920, is placed at approximately $21,000. January and February show the largest figures, with four fires resulting in a total damage of $15,200, this high rate being accounted for by the fact that two of these fires were outside the water district, which rendered the department helpless at both. Owing to the action of the fire commissioners in placing Chemical No. 3 at Myrtle Beach, together with an improved alarm system (the section including Myrtle and Walnut Beaches, which is considered the most congested of any part of the town), the unusually high rate of fire loss experienced has been greatly reduced. With the completion of the new fire house at Myrtle Beach and with permanent men on duty at all times the residents and taxpayers of the shore front will be afforded added fire protection. Insurance rates have already been lowered along the beach as a result of the town’s vote to put up a modern fire house in that part of the town, and with the up-to-date equipment and apparatus, the department feels competent to combat any blaze that may occur.
T. F. MAGNER