By Rita Reith
Indianapolis firefighters responded last Saturday to a fire that heavily damaged several units at the Harbor Isle Condominiums.
Tyler Mills told firefighters that he discarded a cigarette into a blue plastic trash can located on the patio about 20-30 minutes before he heard a loud pop and saw the trash can on fire. He fled and called 911. The fast-growing fire communicated from the trash can to the condominium and extended into the roofline.
The common attic space between the two condos provided the opportunity for the fire to travel quickly and get a head start on firefighting efforts. Calls into 911 reported the fire at several possible addresses as it could be seen for blocks, and crews encountered heavy fire showing from the roof on arrival. Additional companies were brought in for on-scene relief as firefighters worked quickly through the heat and high humidity, gaining control of the fire within 45 minutes.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. Damage was estimated at $250,000
Fire and EMS crews worked to revive a small dog found lifeless inside the structure next door and were able to bring it to full recovery using the Project Breathe Mask and Oxygen. Two cats were also given oxygen appeared to be okay. All three were taken to a veterinarian, who said that they are doing well and in stable condition.