Inflammable Liquid in Stove Causes Six Deaths
Using a highly inflammable liquid to build a fire in a kitchen stove caused the death of a father and five children at Deep River, Conn., a suburb of Middletown, on October 2, when the kitchen stove exploded and destroyed the home by flames. Unable to rescue the children, Willis Beckwith, the father, suffering from third degree burns, loaded the three surviving children into his car and telling one of them how to manipulate it, drove to a neighbor’s house, who spread the alarm and called the Fire Department.
Firemen from the Deep River Volunteer Fire Company responded and found the home a mass of flames. Beckwith was rushed to a hospital at Middletown, where he died a few hours later.