International Mutual Aid At Cornwall, Ont. Hotel Fire

International Mutual Aid At Cornwall, Ont. Hotel Fire

The Royal York Hotel, Cornwall, Ont., and an adjoining apartment house was destroyed by fire on September 9th with a loss estimated at $700,000. The blaze was believed to have started in a garbage pail and spread to the L.P. gas storage tanks used by the hotel for cook stoves.

The fire was discovered by the hotel night watchman shortly after midnight and an alarm was sounded. Before the Cornwall Fire Department arrived the gas storage tanks exploded. Ten guests were in the 32-room hotel at the time and all made their way to safety.

At 2:40 a.m., Mayor Horovitz was notified that the blaze was out of control and he appealed for mutual aid to the Massena, N. Y., Fire Department, which responded with two engines and 20 men. St. Lawrence County, N. Y., Fire Coordinator George Briggs later dispatched Norfolk, Norwood, Hogansburg and Waddington forces to the scene. A fire fighting squad from Iroquois Constructors, an engineering firm engaged in building the St. Lawrence power project, also assisted. More than 100 firemen, including 75 from New York State, battled the flames for over 12 hours before the all-out was sounded.

Editor’s Note: The Fire Marshal’s Office, Province of Ontario maintains a supply of hose thread adapters at each border crossing point. This facilitates connection of the American NST hose couplings to the Ontario Standard Thread, in emergencies such as this. The editors acknowledge the assistance of Assistant Chief E. T. Forbes, Canton, N. Y., Fire Department.

No posts to display