IRRICATION IN MADRAS.
The irrigation works in the district of Godavery, on the east coast north of Madras, East Indies, by which the Godavery river is controled and distributed over its delta, were begun in 1846, and continued at intervals till about 1866. They consist of a weir—an anicut, as it is there called—at the head of the delta, crossing the river where it is four miles broad, and the discharge in the monsoon is 190,000,000 cubic yards per hour at its highest. From this three canals are led. each about sixty-five yards broad,and with eight feet depth of water, irrigating 700,000 acres for rice, and including 500 miles of first-rave navigable canal, with locks for vessels of 250 tons. The results have been an increase of revenue of from twenty lakhs of rupees (a lakh is 100,000 rupees—a rupee is worth from thirty to thirty-two cents) to nearly :oo. or five-fold, paying in water rate four rupees per acre directly, or twenty five lakhs net, being twenty per cent, on the cost of 130 lakhs, besides the enormous increase of other revenue, fifty-four lakhs, almost all of which is really due to the works. The population has increased from half a million to two and one-quarter millions, and the sea trade from thirteen lakhs to 190, or fifteen-fold. This district now, instead of suffering a famine, is selling an immense crop at famine prices, as it has done two or three times before. The increase of production due to irrigation is about forty rupees per acre, or in all 280 lakhs,besides the great saving in transit by water, the cost of carriage being about one-tenth of that by land.
Bayonne. N. J., has a new water supply, the contiactors being De Washington & Beall, who formed the New York and New Jersey Water Company. The water is from the Pequanic, and Professor C. F. Chandler, of New York city, in the report of the analysis he made of it, states positively that, although the contract calls for an unusually high standard of water, the water furnished not only equals con tract requirement, but excels it. The pressure is double that furnished so many years by Jersey City, and may be increased as the water department desires to about 100 pounds.
Last year Carrolton, Ky., built a system of waterworks, including a reservoir, with a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons and one Laidlaw-Dunn-Gordon compound duplex pump. Six and one-half miles of four, six, eight, and ten-inch pipe have been laid, and thirty-five Bourbon fire hydrants have been set, the pressure being no pounds. The engineer of the water works is J. R. Corn.
Indiana. Pa., is supplied with water pumped from artesian wells. The board of directors met last week and decided to erect another storage tank, w’ith a capacity of from 200,000 to 300,000 barrels of water, and drill three additional wells.
Edward F. Frailey, of Lancaster. Pa.,has been unanimously reelected superintendent of the water works of that city.