Jackson, Miss., Dedicates New Station
The newest fire station in Jackson, Miss., No. 10, was formally dedicated December 21st, 1954, at ceremonies headed by Mayor Allen C. Thompson. Chief Leroy F. McDonald is head of the department, which rates with the topmost organizations in the state in efficiency and facilities.
The new station is located on Livingston Rd. north of 5 Points, and protects the growing nothwest section of that city. It houses a 1000 G.P.M. pumper and 65 ft. Junior Aerial. The present company personnel consists of 19 officers (four captains) and men who work two shifts.
In design and construction the new station embodies all the latest improvements for the convenience of men and housing of the equipment: fire resistive construction throughout; sliding poles and hose drying tower eliminated; a generous ramp and attractive landscaping.
The men sleep in a spacious dormitory and prepare their meals in a smart, well equipped “Youngstown” kitchen. Each shift has its refrigerator to keep staples, furnished by the men, separated.
A small den separates the kitchen from the dormitory. A large locker room and tile shower room are provided for convenience of personnel.
The main lounge and watch room contain the latest communications systems, including P.A.; a “scoreboard” to indicate units in service, and out of service; tape receivers; telephones, etc.
The company’s fire district and boxes to which it responds is indicated on a large wall chart.