JACKSONVILLE HAS FINE FIRE SERVICE
Under Able Direction of Chief T. W. Haney the Department Illustrates the Modern Character of Principal City of Florida Which Has Made Remarkably Rapid Progress—High Pressure System and Motor Apparatus Features of Fire Protection Equipment—Proposed Extension of Department
There is probably no city in the country that has made so rapid progress as has Jacksonville, Fla. It is modern in every respect and its fire department, under the able command of Chief T. W. Haney, who has occupied that position since 1892, is an illustration of the up-to-date character of the city. Jacksonville has 70,000 population, covering an area of ten square miles, situated on the St. Johns River seventeen miles from the ocean. The streets are generally level, about 40 per cent of them are paved. About 80 per cent, of the buildings are frame structures.
Management of Department.
The fire department is under the control of the board of trustees for the water works and improvement bonds of the city, in accordance with the charter. The board appoints the officers of the department and fixes their salary. The chief of the department is vested with authority from the board of trustees for the water works and improvements bonds, to employ, make promotions and dismiss and make recommendations for improvements. Chief T. W. Haney was born in the city of Atlanta, Ga., on December 31, 1860, and he joined the volunteer fire department of that city when he was seventeen years old. At the organization of the paid department of the city of Atlanta, July 1, 1882, he was made foreman of the headquarters. He was then 21 years and six months old. H’e held the position until September, 1892, when he was offered the position of chief of the Jacksonville, Fla., fire department. He accepted and took charge on September 5, 1892, and has served continuously since. Chief Haney served on the board of directors of the International Association of Fire Engineers on three different occasions, and has served as first and second vice-president and served as president in 1913-1914. Applicants appointed by the chief are required to file an application on a printed form which is furnished by the city; the application must be filled out in their own handwriting and they must pass a satisfactory medical examination at the time of appointment.
The department consists of seven stations and one high pressure pumping station. Three of the stations, numbers one, three and four, are located within the business districts; the other four are located in the north, east, northwest and southwest parts of the residential districts.
Fire Alarm System.
The fire alarm, an automatic system with an eight-circuit storage controlling board and a ten-circuit repeater, six box and four bell circuits, is under the charge of the superintendent of fire alarm, who is appointed by and! is under the direction of the chief of the fire department. There is now in use 112 boxes,, four miles of underground cable and fifty miles of overhead wire. The underground system consists of from 2 to 27 conductor cable. All stations are connected by a private line telephone system. Each station is equipped with commercial phones, one from the Belt system and one from the automatic system. All fire alarm boxes in the congested district have a large globe light with a red band: around same bearing the words “Fire Alarm” in hrge letters. The boxes in the business districts are mostly keyless, while the others have glass key-guards.
Roster of Department by Companies.
T. W. Haney, chief, appointed September 5, 1892; H. R. MacMillan, first assistant chief, appointed November 28, 1896; E. B. Zoller, 2nd assistant chief, appointed September 11, 1903; G. P. Allen, superintendent fire alarm; J. F. Sellers, engineer high pressure station; G. W. McCormick, engineer high pressure station; L. F. Tracy, clerk; H. Sember, inspector; P. E. Brawshaw, inspector; G. P. McClendon, chief’s driver; B. W. Early, assistant chief’s driver.
Aerial Hook and Ladder Company No. 1: L. P. Tracy, foreman; J. F. Arnold, assistant foreman; R. L. Turner, motor engineer, M. M.; E. E. Anders, tillerman; J. D. Godard, private; L. Garard, private; J. W. Blackwelder, private; Chas. Williams, private.
Combination Company No. 1: W. J. Kelly, foreman; J. M. Anders, private; E. A. Perry, private; A. D. Bolton, private; J. W. Sineath, private; R. L. Wood, private; J. A. Dowling, private.
High Pressure Company No. 1: B. B. Wyse, foreman; J. W. Grimmer, private; J. J. Williams, private; M. H. Gurgeanous, private.
Service Hook and Ladder Company No. 3: W. J. Godard, foreman; P. M. Wilkins, assistant foreman; D. J. Kellum, private; C. Leonhardt, private; T. O. Peacock, private; G. H. Sirmons, private; Frank DeLoach, private.
Hose Company No. 2: J. C. Rousseau, foreman; L. L. Hodges, assistant foreman; A. A. Peacock, private; J. A. Davis, private; J. A. May, private; E. S. Higginbotham, private; N. B. Booth, private.
Engine Company No. 3: J. W. Ward, foreman; J. B. Carr, assistant foreman; R. D. Powers, engineer: F. L. Anders, stoker; S. W. Carr, private: A. Dopson, private E. A. Brown, private; J. L. Copeland, private; S. J. Roberts, private; W. D. Webb, private.
High Pressure Company No. 2: E. W. Moore, foreman; J. S. Davis, assistant foreman; J. F. Cairns, private; A. L. Halloway, private.
Service Hook and Ladder Company No. 2: W. V. Cooper, foreman; J. B. Chancy, assist ant foreman; C. J. Hedinger, private; T. M. Chevis, private; M. C. Henderson, private; D. J. Hunt, private S. B. Brown, private.
Combination Company No. 4: W. Q. Dowl ing, foreman; G. E. Hare, assistant foreman; E. W. Gurgeanous, private; H. C. Hales, pri vate; W. D. Burney, private; J. R. Porter, private; C. C. McClendon, private.
Combination Engine Company No. 5: R. D. Brand, foreman; Geo. Durrance, assistant foreman; H. L. Anders, engineer; J. M. Smith, private; C. C. Brown, private; J. A. Smith, private W. S. Burton, private; E. F. Gardner, private.
Hose Company No. 6: O. L. Johns, fore man; J. A. Parrish, assistant foreman; H. L. Moore, private; J. C. Gore, private; H. M. Tyre, private; A. G. David, private; R. H. Jones, private.
Hose Company No. 7: J. B. Cottrell, fore man; E. S. Kennedy, assistant foreman; M. J. Burns, private; F. A. Plummer, private; Chas. Gordon, private; R. J. Hall, private; R. M. Gore, private.
High Pressure System.
The high pressure pumping station is located in the business district at the foot of Newman street on the St. Johns River. The supply of water is taken from the river through a 14-inch suction pipe to each pump. It is equipped with two motor-driven centrifugal pumps of 2,500 gallons capacity each per minute at a pressure of 175 pounds. They delivered at a test 2,700 gallons each at a pressure of 180 pounds. The mains of the high pressure plant vary from 20-inch to 8-inch with three-way hydrants for 3-inch and 2pS-inch hose; the hydrants arc located on the corners and in the middle of the blocks. At the present time about two miles of this main are in use. This station has proven the wisdom of its installation on more than one occasion.
Manual Force and Salaries.
The manual force of the department at present is ninety-three men, assigned to duty, with titles and salaries per year, as follows: One chief, $3,870; one first assistant chief, $2,070; one second assistant chief, $1,740; one superintendent fire alarm, $1,680; two high pressure engineers, $1,260 each; one clerk, $1,140; twelve foremen, vary from $1,260 to $1,530; eleven assistant foremen, vary from $1,140 to $1,410; one steamer engineer, $1,500; one motor engineer, $1,230; one motor engineer M. M., $1,500; one stoker, $1,200; two inspectors, $1,140 each; 57 drivers, privates and chauffeurs, $810, vary to $1,320. The variation in the salaries are accounted for by the manner in which they are entitled to increase. The first six months they receive $67.50 per month, the second six months $75.00, third six months, $82.50; after eighteen months’ service they receive $87.50 until they have served five years, and then they are entitled to 25 cents a day increase for each five years’ service until they have served fifteen years.
Vacations, Days Off and Indemnity.
The officers and men below the grade of chief receive one day off in seven and two weeks’ vacation each year with pay. Members of the department injured while in the discharge of their duty receive full pay while off duty, and all medical attention.
Firemen’s Benevolent Association.
The Firemen’s Benevolent Association is a chartered organization, formed by the members of this department; its source of revenue is derived by voluntary contributions from the city, such as proceeds from the sale of old fire department junk, and each member pays monthly dues of 50 cents. This association pays $10.00 per week sick benefit and $200.00 death benefit. It has become very popular with the men and is in a flourishing condition.
The department has seven pieces of motor apparatus besides two chiefs’ cars. The seven, ail of American-La France make, consist of two type 10 combination wagons of 4-cylinder 75 horse power and carrying 40-gallon chemical tank and 1,200 feet of hose; two type 10 motor high pressure hose cars of 4-cylinder, 75-horse power and carrying 1,500 feet of 2½inch hose; one type 10 85-foot tractor-drawn aerial truck having a 6-cylindcr 100-horse power motor; one type 14 service truck having a 6-cylinder 100-horse power motor, and one type 12 triple combination car having a 6-cylindcr 100-liorse power motor and a pumping capacity of 750 gallons per minute, and carries a 40-gallon chemical tank and 1,000 feet of 2J4-inch hose, the chemical hose being carried on a reel in place of a basket. Chief Haney’s automobile is a Stoddard-Dayton and the assistant chief’s automobile is a Cole. The department apparatus is contained in the seven stations as follows: Station No. 1, one motordrawn aerial hook and ladder truck, one motor-driven combination wagon, one motordriven high pressure plain hose wagon, chief’s automobile, assistant chief’s automobile. Station No. 2, one horse-drawn service hook and ladder truck, one horse-drawn combination wagon. Station No. 3 one horse-drawn combination wagon, one horse-drawn steamer. Station No. 4, one motor-drawn service hook ai d ladder truck, one motor-driven combination wagon, one motor-driven high pressure plain hose wagon. Station No. 5, one motordriven triple combination pumping engine. Station No. 6, one horse-drawn plain hose wagon. Station No. 7, one horse-drawn plain hose wagon. All motor apparatus is equipped with siren horns and locomotive bells. Horsedrawn equipment all use rotary gongs. The reserve apparatus consists of the following: One steamer, one 55-foot Hays aerial truck, one horse-drawn service hook and ladder truck, four horse-drawn hose wagons.
Fire Hazard Inspection.
The inspection is under the direction of the first assistant chief. There are two permanent inspectors who attend to keeping the city clean of rubbish of all kind that would likely cause fire; they also look after the enforcement of the ordinances governing the moving picture shows, and theatres, also the storage of gasoline. There is detailed each day in the week (Sunday excepted) two members of the force to do building inspection; these regular firemen made 2,584 inspections during the year 1914 and the value these inspections have been to the department has been very marked.
The system of drilling is under the direction of the second assistant chief, who is required to inspect and drill each company not less than once each month. The foremen are required to thoroughly inspect and drill the members of their respective companies in such manner as to make them proficient in the discharge of their duty.
Domestic Water Supply System.
The domestic distributing system at present amounts to seventy-two miles of cast iron mains ranging from six to twenty-inch. There is in use seven hundred and thirty-five hydrants. New pumps which have been recently installed making a valuable addition to the system are Eppinger-Carpenter crank and flywheel, cross compound pumping engine, of 12,000,000-gallon capacity at 250-foot piston speed. The water supply is derived from 12 natural flowing wells, these wells being located some distance apart, and flow into an aerating basin from whence the water is pumped into the mains. The supply of water from this source is unlimited.
The department has in use 16,550 feet of 2 1/2-inch and 3,000 feet of 3-inch hose, of which all is in first class condition.
Extension of Department.
There is to be voted upon in the near future a bond issue for the purpose of making extensive improvements in this department, in which, if carried, more apparatus will be purchased and several new stations will be erected