Kentucky Holds Short School

Kentucky Holds Short School

A three-day short school for firemen was conducted at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, February 12-14. There were 131 firemen registered from forty-three municipalities.

A. N. May, State Supervisor of Trade and Industrial Education spoke on “Training Men in Fire Fighting.”

Efficient apparatus for the small town department was described by Clarence Goldsmith, Assistant Chief Engineer, National Board of Fire Underwriters, Chicago. He gave advice on the purchase of pumps and equipments. He also spoke on “Hydrants.”

S. G. Render, Assistant Chief, Louisville, gave a talk on “Maintenance of Fire Apparatus.” He advocated cleanliness and proper lubrication of motors.

Rodman W. Keenon, Attorney for Lexington Fire Department, spoke on “Law and the Fireman.” He said that it was his opinion that firemen have the right to break into liquor warehouses even though no government officer was present.

“Arson and Arson Irregularities,” w’ere described by W. Malcolm Browm, State Deputy Insurance Commissioner, Lexington.

Experiments and demonstrations on the chemistry of fire were given in the university laboratories, by Prof. Tohn R. Mitchell.

Chief J. W. Just, Western Actuarial Bureau, Chicago, demonstrated the effectiveness of carbon tetrachloride, and other forms of fire extinguishers.

Albert Clements, Engineer, Kentucky Actuarial Bureau, spoke on the subject of “Exposures and Fire Department Operations.”

The rules and regulations of the average Kentucky volunteer fire department were reviewed by Russell Dyche, London, President Kentucky Firemen’s Association.

A talk on “Electrical Hazards,” was given by Roy Chanaberry, Manager, Kentucky Actuarial Bureau. W. S. Lipscomb. Secretary, Lexington Fire Department, spoke on “Yentilation.” Other speakers included John Kruisenklans, Fire Inspector, Louisville, and J. B. Allen, Safety Director, Hazard Coal Fields, who spoke on “First Aid and Life Saving.”

A practical but uncalled for demonstration of department routine was provided when a large pumper broke through the floor of the service building where a demonstration was under w’ay. Firemen spent thirty minutes in extricating the pumper.

No posts to display