Knoxville Hospital Saved By Firemen Under Chief Boyd

Knoxville Hospital Saved By Firemen Under Chief Boyd

Fire originating; in a closet behind the amphitheatre partially destroyed the operating room and did considerable damage to a hospital ward containing about fifteen beds at the Lincoln Memorial Hospital at Knoxville, Tenn., at 3 o’clock recently. The blaze is supposed to have started from spontaneous combustion caused by an oily mop stored in the closet. Fourteen patients in private rooms and two small wards on the second floor of the hospital were removed to the Knoxville General Hospital when the smoke throughout the halls became so dense that it was thought unsafe to permit them to remain in the rooms. The fire was discovered by a night nurse on the second door. She smelled the smoke and lost no time in turning in an alarm from the private box. Engine companies Two and Three, motor and truck, arrived promptly at the fire together with Chief Sant 15. Boyd. Three lines of hose were soon throwing streams of water on the blaze which was fast gaining great headway. Chief Boy_____, as a matter of safety then sent for engine companies One and Five, but when they arrived, it was found their services would not be needed.

No posts to display