LARCHMONT AND ITS FIRE DEPARTMENT.
The annual report of the chief engineer of the fire department of Larchmont, N. Y., for the year ending April 4, 1901, states that its manual force consists of 218 members divided into one engine company, one hose company, one hook and ladder company, one lifesaving and protective corps, one ambulance corps, and three auxiliaries. The life-saving and protective corps is composed of a detail from the companies of two officers and eleven men; the ambulance corps, of three medical officers, a captain, and a detail from each company. Those detailed to the auxiliary corps, both officers and men, live in the immediate neighborhood of their respective apparatus, which consists of hose, nozzles, lanterns, and tools. They are thus enabled to respond quickly to an alarm of fire. The engine, hose, and hook and ladder apparatus are equipped with swinging harness, or can be drawn by hand,when necessity requires. The apparatus of the department consists of one third-size single pump (Silaby) Ameri can engine; one hose wagon, equipped with 800 feet of hose, with one “Junior” extension ladder and modern appilances for extinguishing fires; one hook and lad der truck; fifty-foot extension trussed ladder; one thirty-five-foot rapid hoist; one twenty-four-foot, one eighteen-foot~ one fdurteen-foot; and bne twelve-foot roof ladder; two scaling ladders, twelve and fourteen feet; also life-saving and medical appliances in case of emergency; and the auxiliary hose, etc., as already described. The water supply consists of thirty-seven two-way hydrants, averaging about twenty pounds pressure. The department (according to the State law) held two department drills and one annual in spection and parade. On April 27, 1900, the officers of the department attended in a body the funeral of Mrs. E. F. Campbell, at St. John’s church, the Rev. Richard Cobden, chaplain of the department, officiat ing. On August 21, 1900, the department lost by death one of it~ respected members, William Nevilies, of engine company No. 2. A number of the members of the department attended the funeral at St. Augus tine’s church, the Rev. E. J. Powers, chaplain of the department, officiating. Several hotels and boarding houses were inspected, in reference to fire escapes,and, in compliance with the provisions of chapters 376 and 551, laws of 1896, the proprietors of those hotels and boardinghouses equipped their respective buildings with rope the-escapes.
The fire wardens, composing the fire council, were most attentive to their duties in inspecting the various buildings in course of construction and others in the village dnring the year: also in recommending and (in so far as it lay in their power) in enforcing the village ordinances relating to the location and storing of inflammable material endangering property. The Larchmont Horse Railroad company, through its president, C. A. Singer, presented to the department a tire-bell, which was placed on the house of Auxiliary No. 2. on Cliatsworth aveuue, as a further convenience for alarming the members of the department in case of tire occurring in that locality, or elsewhere in the village. Chief Mayhew W. Bronson thanks the fire council for its able support and advice in conducting the affairs of the department; the chief officers and foremen, for their help and interest displayed dnring the year, in upholding their respective commands to the highest standard of efficiency and discipline; the members, individually and collectively, for their work and diligence, which has characterized the department as a body of good, true, and competent men, ever willing to respond quickly to the call of duty, and that of saving life and property. It may be added that there are in the department twenty-eight exempt, fifty-five associate, and six honorary members.