LEOMINSTER AND ITS WATERWORKS PLANT.
Leominster, Mass., has a waterworks system, which was built by the municipality in 1873, its source of supply being the Morse and Haynes brooks by gravity from impounding and distributor reservoirs. The combined drainage area of these brooks is about 2 sq. miles. The reservoirs were built on the two brooks. That on Haynes brook was formed by an earthen dam, with a stone masonry core-wall, 15 ft. high by 698 ft. long, the capacity being 150,000,000 gals. On a stream nearby was built the distributing reservoir, also with an earthen dam and a stone masonry core-wall 23 ft. high and 304 ft. long, the spillway being of stone masonry and 25 ft. wide, two 14-in. cast iron pipes conveying the water through the latter dam from a gate-chamber just inside the reservoir. The Morse brook reservoir covers 20 acres, and has a capacity of 10,000,000 gals. The cast iron, wrought iron and cement and services of wrought iron and cement, was $160,000, and the pressure was from 125 to 80 lbs. Today the plant has a sand and gravel filtration system and a reservoir capacity of 600,000,000 gals. It supplies water through 1,139 meters for domestic and other uses and through seventy-six for manufacturing purposes. It supplies at schedule rates 634 residences, 832 tenements, four boarding houses, 111 stables, seven stores, three churches, two cemeteries, seven schools, four watering troughs, besides offices, lawns, gardens, etc., and eighteen standpipes for street-watering. During the twelve months between March, 1906, and March, 1907. the water pipes were extended 4,803 ft., of which 3,88T were 6-in., the remainder being 8-in. Of service pipe, 6,102 ft. were laid; 155 meters were set making a total of 1,215. The total mileage of pipes laid is 49.63 miles, of which 48.20 miles are iron and 1.43 cement. W. J. Wetherbee is superintendent and register.