Los Angeles Officers Thoroughly Trained
In his thirty-ninth annual report of the Los Angeles, Cal., fire department, Chief Engineer R. J. Scott outlines the work of the Fire College maintained by that city. The college, he says, was established on January 5, 1925, is in charge of Assistant Chief S. H. Dodd, assisted by Lieutenant W. W. Tebbcts, with an enrollment of 204, consisting of 179 officers and the first 25 men on the eligible list for the position of Lieutenant. From that date until the end of the fiscal year, June 30, 1925, twelve lessons were given to the class, covering every phase of fire prevention and fire fighting, and eleven examinations were held on the work covered by these lessons.
During that period there have also been given lectures by the different chiefs on various subjects, such as arson, combination back draughts, dust explosions, auxiliary equipment, city ordinances regarding fire prevention work, sprinklers, fire extinguishers, theimopile detector service, storage of oil, protection of oil plants, oil fires, fire streams, hydraulics, exposures, care of quarters, care of hose, ventilation, basement fires, hotel firefy frame building fires, overhauling, grass fires, school fires, office building and warehouse fires ami salvage.
Fire departments in nearby cities are taking this course, and applications are on file from officers of other cities for enrollment in the fall course. Requests for information and literature have been received from fire department officials throughout the country, indicating the interest shown in the work of this College The institute has been greatly aided by the installation of working models of sprinkler sysems. refrigerating plants, sectional cut hydrants and extinguishers, thermopile detectors, alarm systems, electrical switchboards and equipment, as well as all kinds of fire control tools and appliances. These have been installed without charge by firms which handle them, and valuable assistance has been given by the national and local boards of fire underwriters, municipal power and light departments, together with the hearty co-operation and support of all fire department chiefs, and Captain V. E. Pierret, of the Fire Prevention Bureau. The College is also indebted to various recognized experts in the several technical lines, who have uniformly given their services without charge or other obligation whatever.