Came Arranged for Benefit of New York’s Emergency Fund—Score 57 0—Two Los Angeles Firemen and Others Badly Injured

Exciting Moments in the Los Angeles-New York Football Game Played in New York City Moll of Los Angeles is bring tackled on the forty-yard line.Lally of the New York Fire Department makes a gain around left end in the first period. More than thirty thousand witnessed the first football match between the two departments.

“FOOTBALL players may be the makings of good firemen, but firemen are not always the makings of good football players,” thus did Fire Commissioner John J. Dorman of New York explain why the New York Fire Department’s football team bowed to the Los Angeles Fire Department’s football team to the tune of 57-0. He was speaking at the victory dinner tendered to the Los Angeles men by the New York committee at the Hotel Astor on the evening following the game.

The love-feast was the culmination of a matinee of football played at the Polo Grounds before 25,000 benefactors of the Firemen’s Emergency Fund, which caters to New York firemen and their families in illness, injury and financial hardship. The fund is better off today by about $80,000 gross, out of which the Los Angeles team got $12,000 for expenses. The New York committee spent about $13,000 on the New York team and other expenses, leaving the fund approximately a net gain of $55,000 or more likely $60,000 when tardy contributions are in.

The rival teams sat down and broke bread after trying to break one another’s heads. They listened to speeches from both sides of the committee. The toastmaster was the energetic Congressman W. W. Cohen, chairman of the Mayor’s Committee on Athletic Activities and also an honorary deputy chief of the N. Y. F. D.

The speakers included Fire Commissioner Dorman, Fire Commissioner Wirden of Los Angeles; Dr. HarryM. Archer of New York; “Bill” Bluett, the L. A. coach; “Snapper” Ingraham of the Los Angeles common council; Hon. Deputy Chief Robert H. Mainzer; Chief John Kenlon and Chief Ralph Scott of Los Angeles. Chief Kenlon presented to Chief Scott the W. W. Cohen Trophy, a huge silver cup. This is to be held permanently by the team winning two of the three legs of the cup.

It is very problematical if New York will ever again go in for football, not that the men did not lose like good sports, but football just doesn’t seem to “belong” to city employes in New York. Climatic conditions in New York and Los Angeles are much different. The New York men were much older and far too heavy and inexperienced. The Los Angeles players were lighter, faster, more experienced, longer in training together, and were generally more collegiate mentally and physically. The New Yorkers did not think as fast as their younger opponents and as Jimmy Collins in the New York World very properly put it the next day—“If the game were played without a football the New York team would set the world afire.”

Chief Scott himself said. “I realized at the outset that we had the advantage, because wc had a team and New York had none, but it was good sportsmanship for them to organize one so hurriedly. Chief Kenlon showed a wonderful spirit and the men were the best losers in the world.”

The western fire chief then declared that it is such sports as football that are attracting a bette: class of young men to the fire service of the United States. He declared that the broadcasting of the game by the New York Municipal Radio station WNYC would attract to the fire departments of the country a higher type of young men.

Chief Kenlon in his address said he knew nothing about football, that he went into the proposition only to advance the cause of athletic sports in the fire department.

In handing the silver cup over to Chief Scott, the New York fire chief said of the Los Angeles football team: “A finer,

cleaner, more splendid lot of athletic sportsmen than those of the Los Angeles fire department I have never seen in my life. This cup has been well won with good, clean sport.”

Some of the Western Delegation Enjoying the Los AngelesNew York Football Game

Chief Scott in responding proved himself popular and also demonstrated that when on his feet in public address, he can handle himself in as dignified and as finely balanced a manner as one can find among fire-fighting officials. He invited the New Yorkers to go to Los Angeles next year and said that if they didn’t want to play football they could bring the baseball team instead, to which “Snapper” Ingraham added —“they can bring both teams—it makes no difference to us.”

The Los Angeles firemen left New York Wednesday morning, October 24, after two days of entertainment. They made a harbor trip on the fireboat John Purroy Mitchell and visited the fire department ambulance, the best of its kind in the fire service in this or any other country. The ambulance, in charge of Dr. Harry M. Archer, removed Fireman Arthur H. Clapper and Fireman Ellis E. Hensley of Los Angeles, from the Presbyterian Hospital to the Grand Central Terminal early in the morning in order to be on hand for the Empire Express for Buffalo. These men were injured in the game and had to be taken to the hospital by Dr. Archer. They remained there, Clapper with a dislocated knee and Hensley with a wrenched back, both unable to walk. Ordinarily the Empire express, which is a day train, does not have sleeping cars, but through the intervention of Dr. Archer, the Pullman Company added one car with beds so that the injured firemen could ride in comfort. Dr. Archer then notified members of the National Association of Police and Fire Surgeons residing in Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo and Niagara Falls to meet the train and take care of the Los Angeles patients for as long as the train stopped in those cities.

A Serious Moment at the Football Game From left to right, Mrs. John J. Dorman, Mayor Jimmy Walker, Commissioner Dorman and Chief John Kenlon.

The New York team fared out worse than the men from the coast as far as casualties go. Lieut. Charles H. Marquardt. captain of the New Yorkers was put out of the game quite early with a sprained ankle; Fireman James A. Byrne fractured his right arm; Fireman Henry W. Datum, star catcher on the baseball team, played football too strenuously and sprained his left ankle and wrenched his neck. A week before the contest two of the New York aggregation were sent to Bellevue Hospital and arc still there. Fireman George Gross, better known ten years ago as Tex Kelly, a crack middle weight boxer, wrenched his back and is in a bad way, while Fireman John P. Kiernan fractured his left ankle.

The Los Angeles firemen departed from New York on the Empire State Express last Wednesday morning. They were given a send-off by only one representative of the New York department, the ever faithful Dr. Harry M. Archer, whoarranged for the removal of the injured members in the New York fire department ambulance.

Dr. Archer called at 6:30 in the morning at the Presbyterian Hospital branch of the new Medical Centre at Broadway and 168th Street with the department ambulance and transported the injured firemen to Grand Central Terminal. The night before he wired to his fellow members of the National Association of Police and Fire Surgeons in Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Port Huron, and other points west to meet the train, giving the time of arrival, and requested that the medical men visit the injured firemen and see to it that their condition was O.K. Hemsley was the worst case from the standpoint of suffering and pain.

The Aftermath of the Los Angeles-New York Game Dr. Harry Archer looked after the injured as they left from Grand Central Terminal on the Empire State Express. From left to rifrht, Fireman A. Clapper, Fireman E. E. Hetnsle.v, Dr. Archer and Fireman W. A. Evans.
Previous articleConvicts Fire Prison for Revenge
Next articleNew York City Repair Shops Kept Busy

No posts to display