Convention of the Massachusetts State Firemen’s Association.
TO MEET IN ESSEX COUNTY.
SKETCH OF THE PLACE OF ASSEMBLY.
LYNN’S FIRE DEPARTMENT.
IN the year 1883, when,the Massachusetts State Firemen’s Association was organized, its number of members, all told, was fourteen. Its objects were those common to all such associations—to bind together in unity the different fire departments in the State, to establish an association that should be for the mutual benefit pecuniary and social,of all the firemen of the State,and to serve as a means of promoting among them not only sociability and intercourse, but also the knowledge of their calling.
The Firemen’s Relief Fund was created through the efforts of the Massachusetts Stata Firemen’s Association. In 1890 the State legislature voted and paid from the State treasury the the sum of f 10,000 to the treasury of the association, to be distributed by a boaid of commissioners for the relief of firemen in jured in the discharge of their duty and for the widows and children of deceased firemen—the act providing that all unexpended money of this appropriation at date of July 1, 1891, should be returned to the treasurer of the State. Through the efforts of the association the grant was made permanent.
Meanwhile the organization has increased and multiplied nearly one hundred-fold— having over 1, too members, with about 120 cities and towns,enrolled in the association.
This year the convention meets at Lynn, under the presidency of Chief Harry L. Marston, of Brockton.
The officers for this year are as follows; President. Chief Harry L. Marston, Brockton; vice presidents, Assistant Chief lames Langford, Fall River; Chief W. O. Arnold. Salem; Chief W. F. Francis, Pittsfield; Chief M. B. Foster, Rockland; Chief George H. Johnson, Brookline; Brown S. Flanders, superintendent of fire alarm, Boston;Chief Henry Wilfert. Revere; secretary (for the ninth year) I). Arthur Burt, Taunton. treasurer. Capt. II. R. Williamson, Worcester; members of the executive committee. Assistant Chief F. H. Humphrey, Newtown; former Chief J. D. Hilliard, Provincetown; Chief L. P. Webber, Boston; trustees from the association of the $10,000 relief fund. Chief Edward S. Hosmcr, Lowell; Fred. A. Cheney, Haverhill; legislative committee, George T. Willis, Boston, Edward Charlesworth, Haverhill, Captain William Brophy, Boston, Chief Fred. Macy, New Bedford; Chief James R. Hopkins, Somerville, Charles S. Marchant. Gloucester, C. H. Parks, Waltham; Chief W. C. Davol. jr., Fall River, Chief Thomas Casey, Cambridge, fire commissioner Thomas Hough; delegate to the (recent) convention of International Fire Engineers at New Haven Chief Harry L. Marston, Brockton; sergeant-at-arras, Chief F O. Whitemarsh.
Lynn, Mass., the city chosen for this year’s convention, boasts a history dating back more than two centuries and onehalf, and is one year older than Boston. But, although so ancient in origin, Lynn is by no means behind the age. It is a typical New Flngland city, ready to adopt every new improvement and open to all up to-date methods of operation that seem to make for the benefit of its citizens.
The staple industry of the city has always been the manufacture of shoes, of which from 1865 to 1875 the average annual product was not less than 10,000,000 pairs, with an average value of $1.20 a pair. In 1880 there were in the city 174 shoe factories,with 10,708 employes and over $4,000,000 invested capital, paying each year about $5,000,000. and producing goods valued at about $21,000,000.
Since that time the industry has assumed much larger proportions and, as a consequence, the condition of the men of Lynn may be set down as highly prosperous. The business interests of the city are represented by an energetic board of trade, and fostered by six national banks, two savings banks, and two trust companies—all solid institutions. Its municipal government, though, of course, not always free from the curse of political partisanship. has been, on the whole, good. The city’s charter was granted in 1850—the town having at that time a population of 14,257—at the last United States census it was 55.727 and is now considerably greater. The city hall (illustrated in this impression) was dedicated in 1867 and is a handsome building.
Like all new Flngland cities, Lynn affords ample means of education and its school system is admirable, according full accommodation for,at least, ninety-eight per cent, of the school population.
In religious and charitable work Lynn is not behind any city—it exceeds many —much larger—in the United States. It has a well organized and excellently managed board of charities and a public hospital liberally endowed and efficiently equipped, a home for aged women, and several other kindred institutions. Its churches are many—over thirty in number of all denominations. Literature is also well represented. Two daily payers are published, the Item and the Press being each ably edited. As a residential city Lynn presents many attractiuns. Its proximity to the ocean insures heathful breezes; its many streets are (or the most part spacious, well laid out, and admirably sewered and lighted; and the adjacent scenery is conspicuous for its beauty. Trolley lines are numerous; railway accommodation is abundant; the roads are good—excellent for bicycling purposes; and the residences are all upto-date in every way.
The water system of Lynn has been already described in F’IRF. AND WATER (vol. xix. pp. 295-268). It is unique and almost unrivaled. Lynn takes special pride in its fire department, which undei Chief Downing, has reached a very high pitch of perfection. 1 he city stands in need of just such a chief and such officers and men as are under his command. It abounds in large manufacturing and business buildings, of from three to six stories in height, nearly all of which are brick and in all ol which are to found many employes and much valuable machinery and stock. The many handsome private residences are chiefly frame-several being large structures richly fur nisfie&as beseems the abodes of the prosperous manufacturer or merchant. he equipment of the fire department is a.s follows: Six steam fire engines (one in reserve); four chemical engines: sixteen ch;mical extinguishers; four hook and trucks; one aerial truck; six hose wagons; five hose reels, each with 1,000 feet of hose; Siamese couplings used; good cotton hose, first quality,24,600 feet; good, 9,000 feet; second quality, *3,850 feet. 3,000 feet good rubber for chemical engines; thirty-eight horses, seven houses; telegraph fire alarm, with thirty-four stieet boxes; value of fire department equipment. $184,022 95; total amount of expenses of department, $75,441.90. Chief Downing has under him forty seven men paid full time and 100 paid call men. The chief is elected by the city council,and, with the first assistant,is a permanent officer— the other three assistants being call men. Thomas Ray is first assistant; William H. Honors, Walter A. Steward, and John H Roberts are the call assistant chiefs.
From 1629,when Lynn was settled,up to 1797 Lynn had no fire protective service. In the latter year an engine was bough and in 1806 four more were purchased,and between that date and 1835 three more were added to the list. In i824Swampscott had engine No. 7 added, and in 1838 No. 8 was bought for the town proper. To Lynn belongs the honor of having turned out in 1654 the first fire engine ever built in America— the work of Joseph Jenks, who built it for Boston. In 1895 the fire department of Lynn was incorporated and the town became the owner of the engines and two hose carriages. Twelve engineers and three assistants were elected to operate the apparatus. In 1836 another engine was purchased, and on August 11, 1863, the first steam fire engine owned by the city arrived.