Madison Fire Department Report.
In his annual report to the mayor and council. Chief Charles Heyl, of the fire department of Madison. Wis., says that an auto combination chemical wagon is needed. He also recommends that rubber tires he placed on all apparatus not now so equipped, and that the manual force of the department he increased. During the year the department responded to 168 alarms—24 more than in 1909—of which number 138 were telephone alarms, 30 were signal box alarms. Seven of the alarms were in stone buildings. 26 in brick buildings. 87 in frame buildings and 48 were other than building fires. The department laid 29,900 feet of hose, raised 814 feet of ladders and used 2,106 gallons of chemicals. The department consists of the chief engineer, one assistant, two captains and 22 full paid men, and has in use the following apparatus; At the central fire station. one three-horse aerial truck, one two-horse hose wagon, one two-horse chemical engine, one second size Nott Steam fire engine and one chief’s buggy; at station No. 2, one two-horse hose wagon; at station No. 3, one two-horse combination hose wagon and chemical engine, and one second size Amoskeag steam fire engine; at station No. 4, one three-horse combination hose wagon and chemical engine, and one two-horse hook and ladder truck. The expense of operating the department has been $34,423.57. Of this amount the greater portion has been spent for salaries, feed for horses, office supplies and lots purchased and taxes refunded. 1 he approximate value of the property occupied and in use by the department is $1oO,9j0. The total receipts of the past three years for the firemen’s pension fund was $1,563.14 Of this amount $4,000 was invested in city improvement bonds, and $190 was paid for pension to John Engetberger during the months of September, October, November and December, 1910, leaving $373.14 in the hands of the treasurer on January 1, 1911.