Mason City Reviews Progress
Through the progress that the Mason City, Ia., Fire Department has made, and the additional equipment that has been obtained, the fire loss in Mason City has been reduced from a per capita loss of $11.88 in 1927, to a figure that has enabled the department to win second place for Iowa in 1939 Fire Prevention Week.
In 1927 when Chief D. H. Shive became head of the Mason City Fire Department it consisted of fourteen men, a Chief, one 750-galloti pumper, one 500gallon pumper, two chemical and hose cars, and a 75-foot aerial. That year saw a per capita fire loss of about $11.88.
The year 1939 closed with thirty-four men and a Chief, a new fire station for Engine 2, a 1,000,000-gallon water supply tank, one salvage company, with a 350-gallon pump, one 500-gallon pumper, two 750-gallon pumpers, one quadruple 600-gallon pumper, one 75-foot aerial with a 500-gallon pump on the tractor, a new fire alarm office with three alarm operators each on eight-hour duty. A Fire Prevention Bureau has been organized with a Fire Inspector on full time.