Memorial Mass of Bridgeport Fire Department

Memorial Mass of Bridgeport Fire Department

Two hundred and fifty members of the Bridgeport. Conn., fire department, with Chief Daniel E. Johnson in command, paraded from fire headquarters to St. Patrick’s R. C. Church on Monday morning. August 13, to attend a memorial mass for departed members. Many city officials, friends of the firemen and relatives filled St. Patrick’s to overflowing. Among the invited guests were Chief Henry H. Heitman, of Waterbury and Rev. Farther Francis J. Henchey, chaplain of the Waterbury fire department. Since the organization of the Bridgeport department some 60 years ago, about 75 firemen have been called by death.

Group of 200 Bridgeport, Conn., Firemen in Front of St. Patrick's R. C. Church, Bridgeport. Rev. Father M. J. Thompson Is in Front Row Next to Chief Daniel E. Johnson. Chief Henry H. Heitman of Waterbury, Conn., Fire Department Is Also in Front Row in Civilian Dress

The mass was celebrated by a former fireman, the Rev. Father Michael J. Thompson, chaplain of the Bridgeport department. Prior to taking up theological studies, which later fitted him for the priesthood, Father Thompson was a ladderman connected with the Waterbury fire department. He served five years under the old 24-hour system and later resigned. During his spare time he prepared himself for entrance to St. Thomas’ Seminary at Hartford, Conn. From here he entered St. Bernard’s College, Rochester, N. Y., where he completed his studies. Following his ordination he celebrated his first mass at Sacred Heart church, Waterbury, with all his former fire department “buddies” in attendance. Since Father Thompson was assigned to Bridgeport one year ago he has taken a personal interest in the welfare of the Bridgeport firemen-. He was recently honored by the fire commissioners of Bridgeport with the appointment of department chaplain, the first clergymen to receive this honor.

Serious Fire Peril in Washington, D. C.—Federal, city and private property, valued at $400,000,000, in Washington, D. C., is protected from fire only by a water system unable to carry enough pressure to fight fires in high buildings.

Oakville Water Company Organized—The Oakville, Me., Water Company has completed its organization and is now ready for business. The company, which was incorporated by a special act of the last general assembly, provided water to the factories and to the houses owned by them. As t’here was no other drinking water in Oakville except what was obtained from private wells, many of the residents living along the water company’s lines asked permission to use the Oakville Water Company’s water. The system in this way became greatly extended and it is expected that further extensions will he made.

Fire Alarm Wires Must Be Renewed—The safety department of Massillon, Ohio, lias retained William Cans, of Chicago, an expert on fire risks, to investigate the conditions of the fire and police alarm systems in the city. The investigations conducted by Mr. Cans and City Electrician Ivan Getz revealed the fact that many ducts contain water and the wires in the ducts now cannot he good for more than 30 days. “As they are now, a short circuit of one of the wires would destroy the entire alarm system.” Mr. Cans recommends the laying of at least a mile and three-quarters of cable, with a capacity of 600 volts, and states that such a system properly laid underground should last for at least half a century.


No posts to display