Monmouth Beach Fire Report
At a regular meeting of the Monmouth Beach, N. J., Borough, the report of retiring Chief Benj. F. Woolley, for the year 1915 was presented. The report said: “The amount of property endangered, about $88,000; insurance about $57,500. Total fire loss, $25. There were three alarms of fire in the borough in 1915. Grass fire around Bren Good’s stable on Ocean avenue, caused by sparks from a locomotive, no damage. Monmouth Beach Inn roof caused by sparks from chimney, about $3 damage. Oliver D. Byron’s stable on Riverdale avenue, caused by sparks from locomotive, damage about $20. There were also three chimney fires, but no alarms were given. Too much credit cannot be given to the firemen of the borough for the prompt and efficient work done by them in handling these fires. At the Monmouth Beach Inn fire only one tap of the fire bell was hit when the cable broke. The Byran stable fire was located in the southern end of the borough. Four lengths of hose burst out of 600 feet laid to the fire. To get water for the fire, hose had to be connected up to a fire hydrant belonging to the city of Long Branch. I don’t think any fire department could have done better work, having to contend with the same handicaps as our firemen had to at those fires. I hereby make the following recommendations. A motor fire engine, installation of a fire alarm system, fire whistle, 3 white rubber coats for the chiefs, 0 white and red lantern globes, a jumper hose reel and a telephone in the chief’s house.” Retiring Chief Woolley was presented with a gold chiefs’ badge by Mayor Manahan.