Montgomery, III., Progresses in Communications
Back in 1951, FIRE ENGINEERING published a report about an alarm system used by the little town of Montgomery, Ill.
Since that time many changes have taken place in Montgomery which may be of interest to volunteer firemen readers of this Journal.
Three years ago the Montgomery Fire Department was handling the rural fire protection by means of insurance riders. This was anything but satisfactory, according to C. M. Gaylord, Chief of the organization.
Because of this unsatisfactory arrangement, a fire district was voted, which gave the fire department a five mile area and a guaranteed financial income to help maintain the organization.
With the added responsibility, the volunteers naturally had to have more equipment. With the help of Federal matching funds, the volunteers were able to purchase a high pressure unit, which carries 800 gallons of water, along with the necessary accessories.
This gave the volunteers two pieces of apparatus with which to cover the lire district. But they were not satisfied. They still felt the need of another unit to carry emergency facilities. They therefore purchased a second-hand panel truck with their own funds and this they painted, lettered, equipped and donated to the Fire District.
But they still were not through. The next step was to install two-way radio, with their own base station. This gives them complete and immediate contact with all other fire protection units in the county.
In 1951, the Montgomery Fire Department had a 10th classification. Under the new set-up,—the District is now named “Montgomery & Countryside Fire Protection Districts—it enjoys Class “A” status.
Reports Chief Gaylord: “this success has been attained only by the complete cooperation and hard work of all firemen and the fire commissioners. As a result,” he adds, “we have gained the thanks and high respect of all the taxpayers of the district. Each fireman has an assigned responsibility in regard to equipment, to maintain the high standard of the department. Regular fire hazard inspections are made by the firemen of all industrial and public buildings, thus keeping everyone in the department fire-minded and maintaining public interest in the organization.”