Montrose Has Celebration

Montrose Has Celebration

The 17th Annual Convention of the Northeastern Volunteer Firemen’s Federation was held on Labor Day in Montrose. Penn. The event also commemorated the 100th Anniversary of the Montrose Fire Department.

Spotlighting the celebration was a parade participated in by fire units from eight counties, with forty-six pieces of apparatus, over 2,000 persons, and four bands and one drum corps, which was witnessed by 12,000 admiring persons.

Old Apparatus Displayed at Northeastern Volunteer Firemen’s Meeting Shown left to right in front of the Montrose, Pa., Courthouse are an 1862 parade cart, an 1847 piano type pumper, a modern” two-wheel chemical car and an 1855 four-wheel hose wagon.

Fire companies in the line were from Taylor, Jessup, Olyphant, Throop, Dickson City, Peckville, Exeter, Nicholson, Archbald, Mayfield, Clarks Summit, Swoyerville, Old Forge, Springville, Forest City, Duryea, Susquehanna Hinmans Corners, Blakeley, Lake Ariel, Dalton, Nimmonsburg, Hop Bottom, New Milford, Simpson Hallstead, Great Bend, Seelyville Moosic, Pringle and Montrose.

Frank Zella of Forest City served as Fire Marshal and Robert McLaughlin as secretary of the committee on arrangements. F. Eugene Sykes was promotion manager of the celebration. Chief Duna A. Watrous was an active worker in the affair.

Officers elected for the coming year are: Schuyler Base, Blakeley, president: Bart Ford, Archbald, first vice-president: Harry Armstrong Taylor, second vice-president; Patrick McNulty, Duryea, third vice-president; M. Mockzycki, Pringle, fourth vice-president; Frank Kelly, Jessup, secretary; Franklin Clover, Lake Winola, treasurer and the Rev. Edmund L. John, First Christian Church, Scranton, Chaplain. (Thanks R. W. McLaughlin).

No posts to display