MOTOR APPARATUS NOTES
The town of Swampscott, Mass., has decided to purchase a motor combination truck.
The firemen of Pennsburg, Pa., is launching a campaign for a piece of motor apparatus.
The Reliance Fire Company of Phillipsburg, Pa., is considering the purchase of a motor truck.
The city council of Phoenixville, Pa., has authorized the purchase of a piece of motor apparatus.
The city of Garrett, Ind., has purchased for the fire department a new $5,600 piece of motor apparatus.
The city council of Bridgeport, Conn., is to purchase a piece of motor apparatus for the fire department.
The city council of Oil City, Pa., recently purchased a motor ladder truck for the fire department for $5,000.
A new motor pumping engine was recently added to the fire department equipment at Holyoke, Mass.
Director of Public Service W. J. Schwenck, of Bucyrus, Ohio, has decided to purchase a piece of motor apparatus.
At a recent meeting of the Borough Board of Nangatuck, Conn., it was decided to purchase additional motor apparatus for the fire department.
The city officials of Statesboro, Ga., recently paid a visit to Atlanta, Ga., where they purchased a piece of motor apparatus.
The borough council of Carlisle, Pa., recently decided to purchase a motor ladder truck for the Empire Company to complete the motorization of the fire department.
The motor truck recently purchased by the city of Grand Forks, N. D., from the Seagrave Company has been received by the fire department. Chief J. J. Fitzgerald is well pleased with it.
At a recent fire the hand drawn fire apparatus of the Louisville, Ohio, department was damaged. An agitation has been started in the village for the purchase of a piece of motor apparatus.
The motor fire truck recently built by the Luverne Auto Truck Company for the fire department of Brookings, S. D., was recently given a demonstration. The machine has two chemical tanks and is also equipped with ladders and hooks and extension ladders.
The fire department of Wallace, Ida., has recently received a new piece of motor apparatus that was bought by the city council. The new equipment is one of the substantial additions to the Wallace fire department and will aid in minimizing the fire risk of the city.
Motor Combination Company No. 3 of the Quincy, Mass., fire department has been moved from the central station to the Wollaston house to replace the three-horse ditch in use there. The apparatus from this station will be used at West Quincy and the hose wagon there placed in reserve.
The first one of the fire engines built on the order recently awarded the Howe Fire Apparatus Sales Company, Anderson, Ind., by the Government for fifteen of their Model H. Howe-Ford fire engines is illustrated on this page. This engine was recently tested at Fort Benj. Harrison and accepted by the proper officials.
The city of Butler, Pa., recently awarded contracts for the purchase of a combination pumping engine and hose truck and a motor service and ladder truck. The contract for the pumping engine and hose truck was awarded to the American-La France Fire Engine Company, of Elmira, N. Y., for $8,642.30 and the contract for the motor service and ladder truck with chemical tank to the Seagrave Company, of Columbus, O., for $6,325.
Practically every foot of available land about the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company’s factories at Akron, Ohio, is under cultivation and more than 350 of its married employees are receiving instructions in intensive farming. To insure the cultivation of every foot of ground, a time clock has been installed within the garden tract and each gardener must register a certain number of hours work each week or forfeit his plot. The company furnishes the seeds and an expert gardener has been employed to instruct the men and insure maximum production.
The fire department of Butte, Mont., recently tested the new booster pump. The test showed that it was capable of shooting a stream of water 116 feet high, or over the top of the highest building in Butte. In the test the nozzle was attached to the top of a 76-foot ladder, and directed by a steel wire, a fireman on the ground shot a two-inch stream 40 feet from the top of the ladder. Buildings nearly a block away were reached by the stream during the course of the test. The pump is attached to a 75-horse-power motive gasoline engine which serves as the motive power for the truck. The intake of the pump is direct from the fire plug, and none of the water presure is lost in the pumping operation. The “booster” will pump water to the height of 116 feet at the rate of 350 gallons per minute
It is anticipated that the entire fire department of Lancaster, Pa., will be motorized in two years. In 1915 the city spent $6,250, and in 1916 they spent $33,000, which consists of three steamers, three tractors for steamers, a quick-raising aerial truck with tractor, three motor combination hose wagons with chemical tanks, a chief’s automobile and 8,000 feet of hose. Just recently the fire committee of city council has recommended the purchase of two triple combination rotary gear pumping engines, motor-driven wagons with a capacity of 1,000 gallons per minute, and one motordriven city service wagon. The steamers and motors arc of the American-La France type. The department is under the control of Chief William E. Johnson, who is notably progressive.
The new fire truck recently purchased by the city of Rock Island, Ill., from the American-La France Fire Engine Company of Elmira. N. Y., successfully underwent a series of tryouts under the direction of James Mead, who accompanied the car from the factory. With Chief Newberry of the fire department and Commissioners Liedtke and Rudgren, on board, the car was taken on a speed run over the city recently. A speed of 55 miles an hour was attained, and in the ascent of several of the steepest hills of the city, the car showed its efficiency. Mr. Mead will remain in town several days and thoroughly acquaint the local fire department with the methods of handling the machine. Another tryout was made later with city officials on board. The new machine will be put into use at once at the No. 3 station at Seventh avenue and Thirty-first street.
Four important promotions in the sales organization of the Firestone Tire & Rubber Company were announced within the past month. E. W. BeSaw was made assistant general sales manager, a newly created position. H. A. Grubb, Texas manager, succeeded his as western district manager. C. H. Sorrick was appointed manufacturers’ sales manager, and J. D. Hess, Jr., Cleveland branch manager, was made manager of the pneumatic sales department to succeed him. All four men have been with the Firestone Company for several years. Mr. BeSaw began as a salesman at the Chicago branch in 1912. A year later he was made manager of the Des Moines branch and on January 1, 1916, he was made western district manager. Mr. Sorrick did his first work for Firestone in the carriage tire department in 1911. In 1914 he was made manager of the pneumatic sales department. As manager of manufacturers’ sales he succeeds Frank C. Blanchard, who died in February. Mr. Grubb came to the Firestone Company in 1913 as a salesman at the New York branch. In 1914, he was promoted to manager of the Cleveland branch, and in April, 1916, was made Texas manager. Mr. Hess started as a salesman at the Detroit branch in 1913. In April of last year, he succeeded Mr. Grubb as manager of the Cleveland branch. The appointments were announced by Mr. A. G. Partridge, general sales manager.
The new American-La France motor fire engine recently purchased by the city of Watertown, N. Y., from the American-La France Fire Apparatus Company of Elmira. N. Y., has been received and officially tested. During the test it delivered over 450 gallons of water per minute, 50 gallons more than the specifications. The pumping test, of the engine was held in Mill street, three tests under different conditions being made. In the first water was drawn from a cistern by suction and was delivered through two 100-foot lengths of hose siamesed to one 50-foot section and discharged through an inch and a quarter nozzle. The engine delivered 400 gallons of water per minute, the stream shooting to a height estimated at 80 feet before breaking. In the second test all conditions were similar with the exception that a 1 1/8-inch nozzle tip was used. The gauge at the nozzle showed a stead pressure of 100 pounds without varying. A pressure of 130 pounds was maintained at the pump, the delivery being 374 gallons perminute. The third test was taken from a hydrant, with two 100-foot lines of hose and one-inch nozzles. A pressure of 60 pounds was developed at the nozzle, giving a flow of 458 gallons of water per minute through both lines. In a hill climbing test, carrying eight men, the apparatus negotiated the City Park hill at 30 miles an hour. The machine was handled throughout the tests by H. S. Bell, demonstrator from the factory of the AmericanLa France Fire Engine Company at Elmira. Following the pumping test the visiting chiefs, Chief Sullivan, of Utica; Chief Luby, of Ogdensburg; Chief Newman, of Cape Vincent, and former Chief Richardson, of Oswego, with the fire commissioners and Chief Bundy were taken for the hill climbing trip to the City Park.