Mount Vernon Fully Motorized
The fire department of Mount Vernon, N. Y., has joined the ranks of a score of other cities by becoming fully motorized in its equipment. This accomplishment is directly due to Edward J. Havey, present fire commissioner, whose purchases of four new pieces of apparatus made possible the complete motorization. The motorized equipment adds to the standard of efficiency of the department which has always been high. There are now nine companies composed of two truck companies, four chemical companies and two engine companies. There is a volunteer force of 450 men and a paid department of thirty men who take charge of the maintenance of houses, apparatus, alarm system and headquarters. In the three years that he has been commissioner, Mr. Havey has spent about $50,000 for new apparatus. His purchases consisted of an American-LaFrance 75-foot aerial truck; an 800-gallon pumper, same make, and a LaFrance tender, which is now being converted into a pumper. His fourth purchase was a 900-gallon AhrensFox pumper. Mount Vernon, with a population of 43,000 people, among them being hundreds of New York business men, has one of the largest and best equipped departments of any city of its size throughout the United States, The efficiency of its personnel is as undisputed as the efficiency of the departmental equipment. Commanded by John Gibson, as chief, the department has achieved a notable success in keeping the fire loss down. In his work. Chief Gibson is assisted by Deputy Chiefs Benjamin Bracard and William F. Hayes, Jr. It should be mentioned here that the first motor apparatus purchased for the department was in 1911. That was the White chemical combination, still in active service at the quarters of Chemical 1, and which is said to have been the first fire apparatus ever manufactured by the White Company. Individually, it responds to more alarms than any other single company, because it has a larger territory to cover. F. E. KENNY.