Mouse Starts a Fire
A mouse nibbling a can of phosphorus in the Rossi drug store, Rockaway avenue. East New York, borough of Brooklyn, New York, caused the stuff to take fire. The store was filled at the time, not only with customers, but also with a number of people who had come in to view a tasteful reproduction of the Christmas Crib at Bethlehem. Among these was the Rev. Henry A. Zimmer, one of the priests attached to the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity in that neighborhood. His clothes caught fire and he was so severely burned as to necessitate his removal to St. Catherine’s hospital. A man who attempted to extinguish the flames which had involved the priest nearly from head to foot, was badly burned about the hands and face. Rossi also, the owner of the store, was slightly burned. The fire itself was extinguished with small loss.
The wholesale waste of water in Angola, Ind„ will soon compel the use of meters.