Municipal Record.

Municipal Record.

FROM SPECIAL CORRESPONDENCE TO FIRE AND WATER.

Incorporation, Population, Water-works, Paving, Sewerage, Street Lighting, Fire Department, Financial Condition and List of Municipal Officers of Cities, Towns and Pillages in the United States and Canada.

FLINT, MICH.—This city is located in Genesee county. It has a population of about 12,000, and was incorporated in 1855. Its officers are as follows: Mayor, Orin Stone; city clerk, John H. Hicok ; treasurer, F. A. Platt ; chairman of finance committee, William Hamilton ; city civil engineer, Stephen Mathewson ; chief of police, William A. Miller ; chief of fire department, James Williams ; chairman of fire and water committee, John Algoe ; health officer, Dr. Arthur Van DerVrepen. The city has no debt and the annual expenditure is $25,000. A company owns the water-works system, which is Holly. Cedar block and cobble stone are used in paving the streets, which are lighted with eighty electric lights by the Peoples Electric Light Company. No extensions to sewerage are proposed at present, nor are any changes or additions contemplated by the fire department this season.

SOUTH BEND, Ind.—Our correspondent sends us the following particulars : “ This city was incorporated in 1861 and its inhabitants number 23,000. Its officers are : Mayor, William H. Longley ; city clerk, David Casey; treasurer, John Wagoner; chairman of finance committee, Patrick O’Brien; ci’ty civil engineer, William Whitten ; superintendent of waterworks, Ira Schrop ; superintendent of street lighting, A. McNabb ; marshal, Lew Stover ; chief of fire department, Isaac Hutchins ; chairman of fire and water committee, Joseph Williams ; president of water board, Charles Pavey ; street inspector, James Butler ; health officer, Dr. Wagener. The total city debt is $225,000, the yearly expenses about $52,000, and the annual receipts $141,374. Five and five and a half per cent are paid on bonds. The streets are paved with cobble stone and cedar block. They are lighted with gas, gasoline and electricity by the South Bend Electric Light Company. The water-works are owned by the city. No extensions to the sewerage system or additions to the fire department are proposed just now.”

BAY CITY, Mich.—J. Barber, city clerk, sends the following information to FIRE AND WATER : “ This city has 35,000 inhabitants, and was incorporated in 1865. Its officers are : Mayor, Hamilton M. Wright ; treasurer, Albert Jeffery ; chairman of finance committee, Win. Grisdale ; city civil engineer, George Turner; superintendent of water-works, E. L. Dunbar ; superintendent of street lighting, Wm. Fitzhugh : chief of police, N. N. Murphy : chief of fire department, T. K. Harding ; chairman of fire and water committee, Samuel Kaichen ; president of water board, Andrew Walton ; street inspector, D. A. Root ; health officer, Andrew I). Wyman ; fire alarm superintendent, Cyrus McGregory. About twenty miles are paved with cedar blocks. The system of waterworks is the Holly and it is owned by the city. There are 215 hydrants in use and twenty-eight miles of pipe laid. No extensions to the works are proposed at present. We have a sewerage system and the city is lighted by electricity with 132 lights. The total city debt is #357,500, the yearly expenditure #179,000 and the annual receipts #209,000. Eight percent interest is paid for outstanding bonds. It is not known if any additions are to be made to the fire department equipment this year.

DAVENPORT, I A., has a population of about 33,000, and was incorporated as far back as 1839. Its city officers are as follows : Mayor, Ernst Claussen ; city clerk, John McSteen ; treasurer, L. H. Reik ; chairman of finance committee, C. D. Martin ; city civil engineer, Thomas Murray ; chief of police, Frank Kessler; chief of fire department, H. Strattman ; chairman of fire and water committee, John Cameron ; street inspector or commissioner, I). A. McGregin ; health officer,

J. HL. Mason. The bonded debt of the city amounts to #279,000, and the yeailv expenses to #121,000. There is a sewerage system, to which about 100 feet of extension is proposed for this year. The streets are macadamized, and are lighted with electricity by the Davenport Gas Light Company. The fire department has no additions to its equipment under consideration at present. A company owms the water-works system, which is Holly. There are 267 hydrants and 28 miles of pipe. Six per cent interest is paid on bonds.

PORTAGE CITY, Wis.—This city has 7000 inhabitants. The following is a list of its officers: Mayor, Andrew’ Kiefer ; city clerk J. C. Britt; treasurer, R. A. Sprecher ; chairman of finance committee, John Graham ; city civil engineer, II. Meriton ; superintendent of water-works, C. F. Hyde ; superintendent of street lighting, John II. Daley; chief of police, Louis Blakewell ; chief of fire department, John Muller ; chairman of fire and water committee, Charles C. Dow’ ; street inspector, Oliver Dempsey ; health officer, Dr. F. T. Bentley. The streets are partly paved with cedar blocks, and are lighted with forty-one gas and fifty oil lights by the Portage Gas Company. The question of electric lighting is under consideration. The city has sewerage and water-works systems ; the latter is direct pressure and stand-pipe, and is owned by a company. There are 70 hydrants in use and “]% miles of pipe. The total city debt is #6000, and the yearly expenses #27,000. Five per cent interest is paid on bonds. It is not known if any changes or additions will be made to the fire department this year.

SOUTHINGTON, Conn.—“ This town,” writes Charles D. Barnes, town clerk, “ has a population of 6000. It is not incorporated yet. Its officers are: Treasurer, Charles D. Barnes ; chairman of finance committee, W. S. Plumb ; city civil engineer, T. H. McKenzie ; superintendent of street lighting, A. Boccold ; chief of police, Charles II. Tolies; chief of fire department, James II. Osborne ; chairman of fire and water committee, R. A. Neal ; street inspector, W. S. Plumb. The system of water-works is gravity, and it is owned by a company, which has upwards of 100 hydrants set and 10 to 13 miles of mains laid. We have no sewerage system yet. The streets are lighted with 400 lights, using kerosene, naphtha and electricity. The name of the lighting company is the Village Improvement Association. Our total debt is #30,000. Five per cent is paid on bonds.”

SAGINAW, Mich.—This city was incorporated in 1859 and has a population of 20,000. The following is a list of its officers : Mayor, L. W. Bliss ; city clerk, Wm. Binder ; treasurer, J. W. Richardson; chairman of finance committee, Henry S. Brown; city civil engineer, Harrison Cary; superintendent of water-works, II. F. Allen; chief of police, Zach. Baskins; chief of fire department, Phil. Opfergelt ; chairman of fire and water committee, Edwin Andrews ; president of water board, A. W. Achard ; street inspector, II. F. Allen; health officer, O. P. Barber. The total debt of the city is #301,000. The streets are paved with wood and stone and are lighted with eighty electric lights by the Fort Wayne Jcnney Lighting Co. The water-works are owned by the city. There are 202 hydrants and fifteen miles of mains. No extensions to the sewerage system or additions to the fire department are spoken of at present.

No posts to display