New England Fire Notes

New England Fire Notes

The town of Stoneham, Mass., has placed a new triple combination motor pumping engine in service.

Four new 750-gallon American-LaFrance motor pumping engines have been received by the Boston fire department.

Chauffeur Edward N. Frost, of the Milton, Mass., fire department, died while driving a motor pumper in response to an alarm and the apparatus hit a telegraph pole and was wrecked.

Mayor Wheeler, of Gloucester, Mass., has written a letter to the Eastern Point Associates calling attention to the fact that the roads leading to houses at the point are in such a poor condition that it is unsafe for fire apparatus to traverse them in response to alarms.

At a meeting of the Massachusetts Fire Chiefs’ Club the following new members were elected: Superintendent Henry E. Thompson, of the Boston Protective Department; Chief Edward L. Janes, of Worcester; Chief L. A. Peterson, of Whitman; and Chief Fred D. Graham, of Wakefield.

Twenty promotions, fifty-five transfers, and thirteen assignments to duty of probationary firemen became effective recently in the Boston fire department, constituting the biggest shift that has been made in the force for a long time. The reason for the large number of promotions and transfers is the near completion of the two high pressure pumping stations which require additional engineers and assistant engineers to operate the pumping machinery. A school of instruction has been started to prepare the engineers and assistant engineers for their duties at the pumping station. The announcement is also made that a second rescue company will shortly be established in the department.

New England Fire Notes

New England Fire Notes

Work has started on the remodeling of the upper floor of the quarters of engine companies 26-35 on Mason Street, Boston.

The annual drill and inspection of the various companies of the Boston department is now being held at headquarters on Bristol Street.

Principal Operator Jonathan M. Morris, of the fire alarm branch, has been retired on pension. He was appointed to the Boston department on April 14, 1880, and was made an operator on July 13, 1891. He was promoted to principal operator on January 22, 1908.

Hosemen William O’Connor and Morris Swart, of Engine Company No. 15, Boston fire department, have received high commendation for their bravery in capturing and disarming a maniac who was armed with a knife and creating a disturbance in a building at 109 Silver Street, South Boston.

Recent changes in apparatus marking the continuance of the policy of motorization of the Boston fire department are as follows: Chemical Company No. 1, horse drawn, disbanded; horse drawn hose wagon attached to Engine Company No. 4, replaced by American-LaFrance high pressure motor hose wagon, and horse drawn hose wagon attached to Engine Company No. 6, replaced by American-LaFrance combination hose and chemical car.

Fire Commissioner John R. Murphy has received a donation of $100 for the Boston Firemen’s Relief Fund, from the Stickney & Poor Spice Company, Charlestown, accompanied by the following letter of appreciation: “We wish to thank you for the efficient work of the fire department at our factory on Friday night, September 16. The Boston protective department and the regular fire department were very efficient. Owing to their early and careful work we were saved a large fire loss.”