Specially reported for FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING

Star Hose Co. and Eagle Hose Co., of Greenport, N. Y., have raised service flags in honor of members in Government service.

Engine No. 44, one of the fireboats at Boston, Mass., received injuries to her rudder from floating ice, and was put in dry dock for repairs.

Robert N. Davis has been elected foreman and Burton H. Landon assistant foreman of Eagle Hose Co. No. 2, of Guilford, Conn.

Fire destroyed the Methodist Church at Scituate, Mass., on January 13. Two dwelling houses and a business building caught fire from flying sparks and were somewhat damaged.

The plant of the Providence Dye Works, Providence, R. I., was destroyed by fire on January 19, with a loss estimated at $35,000. The plant had been shut down to comply with the orders of the fuel administrator.

Chief Rufus R. Fancher, of the New Haven, Conn., fire department, has received a check for $15 from James P. McGeartv, in appreciation of the work of the firemen at a fire in McGearty’s cafe, on Water street. The check was turned over to the firemen’s benefit fund.

Stephen C. Miller, a retired battalion chief of the Providence, R. 1., fire department, was recently presented with a handsome signet ring engraved with two crossed trumpets and the years “1889-1917.” The gift was from his former associates in the fire service.

Fitchburg, Mass., had a bad fire in two blocks on Water street on January 1, with the temperature 7 degrees below zero. A general alarm was sounded for the blaze which caused injuries to two firemen, made about 70 people homeless, and resulted in a property loss of $48,000.

The worst cellar fire that the Boston department has had to contend with in years occurred at Healy’s Hotel, 643 Washington street, shortly before 3 a. m. January 12. The guests who were asleep on the upper floors of the building were aroused and taken to safety. The fire was confined to the cellar and the damage amounted to $15,000. Captain Henry Krake, of Engine Company No. 7, and a number of firemen were overcome by the dense smoke. The depth of the cellar made the work of fighting the fire difficult. The rescue squad with smoke helmets was used, but it was found that in close contact with the’ fire the heating of the masks made it impossible for the men to remain long at work, as the cellar was low, narrow and very deep. Refrigerating pipes were hung to the timbers of the ceiling, which had dropped down, hampering the operation of the men. Brick tile floors were chopped through and cellar pipes used.

Fig. 62.

No posts to display