New England Notes

New England Notes

Superintendent Samuel Abbott has retired on half pay after serving for forty years as head of the Boston Protective Department. He was formerly a member of the Boston fire department, and held the ranking of district chief when he left the city service to take charge of the insurance patrol which in Boston is known as the “Protective Department.” Superintendent Abbott began his duties on July 1, 1880, and under his direction the protective department has grown from a force of two horse drawn companies with eleven permanent men and fourteen call men, to the present complement of three double companies, fifteen pieces of motor equipment, nine officers and sixty-five privates.

Recent transfers in the Boston fire department are as follows: District Chief Frank J. Sheeran, from Engine Company No. 19’s house, Mattapan, to district 8; District Chief John N. Lally, from district 8 to district 12, Jamaica Plain; and Captain John J. Gavin to Engine Company No. 19 as acting district chief. Fifteen firemen, largely men who have been incapacitated for active fire duty, were assigned to the fire prevention bureau under direction of Lieutenant Daniel J. Cadigan.

New England Notes

0

New England Notes

(From Our Regular Correspondent)

Fire Commissioner John R. Murphy, of Boston, has appointed Captain Charles A. Donohoe, of ladder 15, to take charge of the officers’ school of the Boston fire department. Captain Donohoe will attend the next session of the New York Fire College. Commissioner Murphy has also appointed Hoseman Henry T. Brennan, of engine 25, to instruct members of the department in the use and care of motor apparatus. Brennan recently returned from leave of absence, having served in the army as chief of the fire department at Newport News, Va.

Gov. Calvin Coolidge, of Massachusetts, has signed the state two-platoon bill which provides that the system may be installed in any city upon the vote of the citizens, a petition signed by ten per cent of the voters being recpiired in order to have the matter put upon the ballot.

Two alarms were sounded on the evening of May 4 for a fire which destroyed a large part of 1500 cords of wood belonging to the Metropolitan Coal Company, stored in a brick building formerly used as a railroad round-house on Commonwealth avenue near the Cottage Farm bridge, Boston. The fire was a very stubborn one and difficult to get at for effective use of hose streams. Large sign boards and the fact that the building was below the street level hindered the operations of the firemen. Chief P. F. McDonough was in charge, assisted by Deputy Chief Sennott, and District Chiefs Walsh, Fox, and Gaffey. The loss is esfimated at $20,000.

Malden is very proud of the new central fire station which was opened last month. The building is of brick construction with all modern improvements and cost nearly $100,000. The fire alarm headquarters and several pieces of motor apparatus are quartered in the new station.

The two-platoon system will be installed in the fire department at New Haven, Conn., beginning with one company on June 1, and continuing gradually until by November 1 next the entire department will be operating on the two shift basis. Two more deputy chiefs and 56 new firemen will be appointed.